The bomb scare - Convention

by KW13 47 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2
    Simon, I hadnt thought about the 'security' before, but you are right, theres no training.

What's rather nauseating now was how, at one time, some of us thought that the WTS was so on top of everything and that the brothers knew exactly what to do in any eventuality. Such trust..and such stupidity.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I had already left by then but I remember hearing about the bomb scare; I didnt believe it to be honest because nobody in their right mind would want to blow up 'Jehovahs happy people'

LOL at Simon with his briefcase.

DB74

• KW13
    KW13
    I had already left by then but I remember hearing about the bomb scare; I didnt believe it to be honest because nobody in their right mind would want to blow up 'Jehovahs happy people'

Trust me, we weren't happy!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Cockney? A Northern accent is much more persuasive!

Perhaps. But a threat has to be understandable in order for it to be credible...

Stephanus,

of the "Speaks with an accent which has cockney roots" class

• penny2
    penny2

I was at an international convention in Sydney in about 1973 where there was a bomb hoax. There were about 30,000 people and we were all evacuated to an area outside the stadium. Everyone was calm. No-one was scared in those days because we were about to go through Armageddon (1975, remember?). It was even rumoured by some elders' wives that Armageddon may start during the convention so the bomb hoax seemed very timely.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Does anyone here recall that a bomb did explode in a Kingdom Hall in Australia many years ago and I do belief a couple of witnesses did die.

I agree with Danny, the pen is mighter than the sword. Violence would just bring us down several notches into being called Watchtower Terrorists. I know the idea of doing something sinister would make us feel good, but not at the cost of others lives, even if it were a fake bomb, people have been scared to death and had heart attacks believing that there is emminent danger to thier lives.

Orangefatcat

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I grew up going to Yankee Stadium and the Stanley Theater. they are both in rough neighborhoods and we would always get wanderers coming in from off the street.

I remember one year at Stanley theater this homeless guy walked in and sat up top where we were sitting. He was talking to himself out loud and making jerky movements and glaring at people around him. The attendants tried to get everyone around him to move and then he got "offended" at that. lol! he started saying he had a gun, and everybody MOVED REALLY FAST to get out of the way - and one of the attendants actually turned and fled for his life. The guy turned out to be harmless and they wrestled him out of there quickly.

I used to sit at yankee stadium and hear my mom and aunt talk about how easy it would be for someone to walk in and plant a bomb in there and blow up 20,000 people.....YIKES!

It terrified me as a kid.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Does anyone here recall that a bomb did explode in a Kingdom Hall in Australia many years ago and I do belief a couple of witnesses did die

yes i do and the bomb was placed under the podium and blew the speaker up,there was an investigation and last i heard the perp was an opposing mate? and they didn't have enough evidence to bring him to trial.

There was also a pipe bomb grenade in france that a brother grabbed and threw outside just before it exploded

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Does anyone here recall that a bomb did explode in a Kingdom Hall in Australia many years ago and I do belief a couple of witnesses did die.

Yes I do remember this, very clearly, now you remind me.

It was the proud centre piece of many a talk for years to follow, because we were told in the UK that ONLY ONE person died.

We were told that EVERYONE ELSE was protected because the speaker had just asked them to look up a particular scripture and they were ALL holding up their bibles which protected them.

WOW. I really believed it.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yeah we had a tape of it circulating. People kept saying things like, "isn't it amazing only one brother died due to Jehovah's protection", and all I remember thinking was - try telling that to the wife \ relatives of the brother who died.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit