Are you pleased with or do you hate your job?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I am a reservationist and dispatcher for a local bus company.........my department is for a specific local town for elderly individuals...........Dial A Ride........and I absolutely LOVE the energy and sense of openness and acceptance of their right to be an individual...........my mom said I was an "old soul" as a child, even, so, the fact that I've never fit my age/peer group, and always felt comfortable with those 30 and 40 years my elder, as a young woman.......the down side of the work is it is 70% phone and the other 20% is computer input.........I long for a job where the pace is peaceful and slow, yet intellectually stimulating........... LOL...........for those that thought I misadded........the other 10% is for "personal time"........

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I quite like my current job, and the pay is good, but I want to get into teaching, which is what I wanted to do pre - jw, and have applied for teaching posts, so far without success.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

It is all-right:

- I don't mind the pay cheque

- Having 12 consecutive days off out of every 28 is certainly an attraction, too.

- Boredom is a complaint that I never have (Managing a power station in the middle of a malarial jungle; with a semi-literate, semi-mutinous workforce - you can imagine!)

It is probably about the best you can expect to achieve as a raggedy-arsed electrician, who was stopped from going to university by the wisdom of the WTS - and the dictates of the local body of elders.

Just the same, if I got my hands on half a million (e.g. winning the Gold Lotto, robbing a bank or something) they wouldn't see me for dust!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm happy at my job. The company I work for is sensitive to the "human" needs of employees and this makes a very big difference in how nice of a place it is to work.

They are always doing all sorts of nice little things for everyone. It's all of the little things that add up to make the work experience very nice.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I like my job, not crazy about my boss and a couple of my coworkers.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Elsewhere I thought you are self employed, anyway the people you work for really know how to keep the staff happy and motivated.

Reefton you did well considering how the WTS left your education handicapped.

• Breakfast at Cranberrys
    Breakfast at Cranberrys

Love my job. I'm a newspaper designer and, frankly, most of my coworkers - reporters, editors, ect - work a lot harder than me. But I have fun. I do wish it paid better, but I'm a pretty low-key guy with no family, so I don't need much.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Well the remuneration for the actual time spent is sweet, but bottom line was horrible because I've been sporadicaly called this semester.

Substitute teaching for me runs the spectrum of love and hate. There's one highschool that I enjoy going to and really feel fulfilled with what I could do with the students. Lately I've only been called to the inner city highschools, and I'm just glad they didn't swipe my wallet.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My job is very stressful and demanding. The market that we're situated in is very cut-throat making it extremely difficult to be profitable. The owner of my company is retired and dying of brain cancer. My immediate boss is the vice president and was/is considering buying the owner out but it seems as if negotiations are at a stand still. There is a sence of entitlement amongst many of my co-workers who would rather talk on the phone, browse the internet or read a book than actually earn a pay check. My boss seems oblivious that this goes on which makes me question his ability to manage or run a company. We're struggeling with cash flow and obtaining new customers.

I signed a non-compete agreement many years ago which makes it difficult for me to leave and seek employment with any of our competators. Otherwise I would have left by now. There are many good points about the company. We have all the key elements to turn things around, streamline operations, reduce overhead and become a profitable business. It's just going to take a leader that's not afraid to make some tough decisions, which in my opinion, we do not have at the moment. For me right now the worst case scenario is the company closes it's doors and I get a job hopefully down the street a ways.

My job can be very rewarding. It takes a lot of hard work and good luck. I've got no problem with the hard work but good luck is not one of my strong suits.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    They are always doing all sorts of nice little things for everyone. It's all of the little things that add up to make the work experience very nice.

Elsewhere, you are totally right.

My job can be very stressful at times. My team's performance has a direct effect on generating commissions for our agents. If we're behind and the monthly premiums don't get posted, our agents don't get paid. In the past year, we've gone from 6 weeks average processing time to 3 days. It was a tough, long road, but I have a great team who worked very hard and complained very little to get the job done.

Our company recognized a lot of the inefficiencies in the tools they gave us to work with and have addressed those. We also have many employee initiatives that are going on.... diversity, health, communication seminars, retirement seminars, departmental crosstraining. But my favorite was "Employee Appriciation Week." An entire week of fun activities with no one worrying about how little work was actually being done. The total focus was in showing our employees how much we appreciated their contribution to the business.

CountryGuy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit