Do they respect gay rights?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's true that rural environments tend to be more conservative and less tolerent than urban ones.

To me it matters not what people do in their privacy behind closed doors and most people here don't, but some are freaked out by the idea of homosexuality. In fact most of the homosexual men I met were polite towards me.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Sorry Greenday, I just started a gay thread before noticing yours.

I respect a persons right to do what ever they like with consenting partners. However people need to respect others rights too. Blatant behaviour in front of others that find it offensive should be curbed. That extends to all areas, not just gay activities, but hetrosexual, religious and so forth. When I am alone with a guy in a lift that is openly learing at me I find it quite uncomforting, and imagine it must be how a girl feels when being leared at by men. Either way people do need to respect others feelings.

What you can never achieve is perfect harmony. Gay people have achieved greater tolerance by open activism and offended many people in the process. I do not know the answer to how groups can get acceptance without offending people in the process.

• freetosee
    freetosee

Jwfacts, that’s absolutely true, good point.

As education on this issue becomes more available in school and media the understanding and tolerance grows.

Speaking of myself, as a JW I was against gays and continued sometime after. Today I feel stupid about my past views. Most gays I know are nice people.

If I have a son one day and he tells me he is gay, I’m sure I’ll feel disturbed and disappointed about this. But I want to tell him that it is not him that has done any wrong, but it is me alone that has the problem.

Freetosee

• greendawn
    greendawn

Jw facts it can happen that one can start a double thread by mistake and we can't always know the threads that go on at the time or were going on very recently.

But your topic looks at the gay issue from a very different angle anyway, it's not the same as this one.

You are right about what gays should do in public, at university I was shocked to see gay students kissing in public. However seeing lesbians kissing didn't really shock me.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In my view a society's degree of tolerence towards its gays is an index of its tolerence towards all minorities.

• osmosis
    osmosis

Greendawn could you possibly BE more clueless?

"Genetically predisposed"? WTF?

Seriously, that's screwed. Good thing you're willing to condescend to tolerate them though! LMAO

• jstalin
    jstalin

The area where I live is very conservative and there are no openly gay public officials. Hopefully that will change with time.

• Shining One
    Shining One

>I personally don't approve of their activities but I can understand that they are genetically predisposed in that way and can't change.

That's hogwash, it is a myth that no research has ever proven. You can be predisposed by your upbringing but that doesn't mean people can't change.
    Rex

• jstalin
    jstalin
    That's hogwash, it is a myth that no research has ever proven. You can be predisposed by your upbringing but that doesn't mean people can't change.

Did you choose to be straight (assuming you are striaght)?

• FairMind
    FairMind
    I still think in rural parts of the bible belt that gays are mistreated.

That remark is a slam toward my southern heritage. When a gay is lynched in the south it is done with the utmost dignity!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit