Overheard at the Book Study

by under_believer 43 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

anewme...

Whats really ridiculous is being kicked out and still hoping it all turns out for them.

This isn't ridiculous. It just means you're a nice person. I found your comments moving because I, like you, feet true pity for them. And who's to say that they'd be better off without their illusions?

Is the person deriving benefit from a placebo better off knowing that it was just a fake sugar pill, and no longer getting the benefit of the placebo effect? I don't know.

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

blondie made a really good point about the practicality of Paradise. She's exactly right: killing 99% of the people on this planet would sink the remaining 1% right back into the Stone Age because the maintenance of our complex society depends upon an equally complex support structure driven by the contributions of all participants at every level. Expecting that everything would simply continue on the basis of current systems is patently ridiculous and demonstrates just how severely out of touch JWs are from the world they have rejected.

A similar line of thought developed in my mind as I took more history classes and learned about how profoundly different the modern age is from every other epoch in the development of our species. If a hunter-gatherer from North America in 1700 BCE was resurrected tomorrow, on what level would you be able to relate to him in an effort to educate him about the "Good News"? Even if you spoke the same language your respective cultural experiences would be so manifestly different that communication would be all but impossible. The same applies to any era in history. How would you explain Pauline views of sexuality to a Pecheneg nomad from the ninth century? Would your theology make any sense to a Sumerian peasant farmer? How would a Han Dynasty bureaucrat react to the idea of religion as a form of behaviour and thought control that dominates your every action? What kind of sense would legalistic, formal JW religion make to an Arawak headhunter or a Minoan merchant? None at all. And the JWs propose to educate every single one of the untold billions who have lived across wildly diverse eons of time and space in a belief system heavily dependent on a very recent form of social organization in the space of one thousand years.

It's just not practical. Ideas like this belong in the realm of fantasy and are propounded only by those who don't know any better.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

What happens to keep the angels from gettin interested in women again in the new system. Incidently, I worked in a power plant, substations, and currently am a lineman so I could help you keep power goin, Blondie. I also have repaired our toilets after my wife many times. Great questions.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

We sure are living in the time of the end. My ignorance of the past really teaches me that now is the appropriate time for God to act!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit