Overheard at the Book Study

by under_believer 43 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

Here are a few comments that I overheard at this week's Book Study (of the third chapter of the Bible Teach book), and the thoughts I had after hearing them:

Conductor: "As food shortages become more and more common as the Time of the End advances, they will make excellent field service points since they were predicted by the Bible."

Me: Great. Famine, starvation, and malnutrition make excellent field service points.

Reader: "As we can see from man's pitiful attempts at peace, the things he sets up to attain peace, like the United Nations, fight in more wars than anybody else."

Me: WTF? The UN fights in more wars than anybody else? WTF?

Random publisher: "A cobra is a very dangerous snake. It's amazing to think that a baby will be able to play with a cobra in the New Order."

Me: Yeah that is amazing. Considering that a snake a) physically can't chew anything, b) is essentially a well-designed poison delivery system in many cases, and c) has a metabolism completely and totally adapted to breaking down animal proteins, what will it be eating in the New Order? Whole cobs of corn? Will we have to manufacture soy-based bacon bits for snakes? And WTF is a light aperture?

• nelly136
    nelly136

betcha cant wait to get to next weeks book study

• Emma
    Emma
    As food shortages become more and more common as the Time of the End advances

Nothing's changed in the past 60+ years. Wouldn't you think they'd get tired of crying the same old wolf stories? It's the same tired stuff; how do they do it?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Maybe snakes will grow their legs back in the New System...along with chucking the fangs.

No - we already have lizards - always wondered what the serpent looked like before he was made to crawl on the ground.

For that matter, I don't think they believe there will be children in the new system either, so maybe it's a moot point -

• luna2
    luna2

That made me giggle. It also made me glad that I don't have to sit there "studying" this lunacy.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Conductor: "As food shortages become more and more common as the Time of the End advances, they will make excellent field service points since they were predicted by the Bible."
    So then what does an obesity epidemic mean?

• loosie
    loosie
    And WTF is a light aperture?

Light Aperture is the hole light comes through.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    And WTF is a light aperture?

I have wondered about this also. Any takers?

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK - OK i will try on the aperture but only because i am bored...

It is a pinhole (a tiny one) in some opaque substance. If you shine individual light particles through it and project it onto a screen, you do not get a tiny dot. You get a much larger circular image which has circular light and dark bands like the ripples on a pond. This is how a diffraction grating works (which can spead out light into a rainbow effect.) God made this physical principle happen right after the flood as electrons nor photons had this property before about 2520 b.c.e.

Scientists, however, say that this has been used to prove that even if a photon/electron is a kind of particle they also have a wave-like nature.

Practically speaking, you can make an extremely short-focused camera by using such a pinhole in front of the regular lens and bellows.

See, you thought I was going to say it was a heavy aperture that had been to Jenny Craig.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They are not so well informed about history there were much worse famines in the pre 20th century times that killed tens of millions of people those of the 20thy century are nothing unusual in history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit