How did the WT art affect you? Did you find subliminal WT art as a JW?

by freetosee 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freetosee
    freetosee

I was always impressed by the art in WT literature, especially by pictures of the throne of God, heaven and angels, the visions of Daniel and Revelation. These added in deepening my acceptance and understanding of WT teaching. The earthly hope was very appealing to me, yet I whished to be able to go to heaven for a short time just to see the spirit realm and then return to live in earthly paradise.

How did the art in the WT affect you? Did you hear about (or find) subliminal art in the WT as a JW?

Since most Catholics I spoke to in FS never had much bible interest I thought the deep understanding of Revelation was exclusively WT. But Catholic artists have portrayed many visions in their art long before the WT existed. I love them and would just like to share some…

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was very impressed with the red haired harlot they put on the back of the wild beast of Revelation. I still have erotic dreams about her.

W

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I was very impressed with the red haired harlot they put on the back of the wild beast of Revelation. I still have erotic dreams about her.

W

Me too. Especially after I learned the Watchtower Society associated with the UN for almost 10 years before they were outed by The Guardian Newspaper.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes.

I remember well the Sunday Watchtower study in 1988 or 1989 when we were going over the study article and I was looking at a picture of a man drinking out of a vessel and saw a monster's face in the clothing! I practically leapt from my seat. And then I showed it to a friend sitting next to me and he saw the skull too. Then a few minutes later he tapped my shoulder and showed me something more....the teeth of the skull spelled out "JAH"...that freaked me a second time.

99% of so-called hidden images are really "in-the-eye-of-the-beholder", but this one I think was the real McCoy. When I came home from the meeting, I pored over all the other bound volumes looking for other pictures, but couldn't find a single one like the one in the current issue.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an article on the powerful impact of Watchtower imagery. I'm not talking the run-of-the-mill subliminal, here. I'm saying for many JW's, the pictures are the message.

http://www.unc.edu/~elliott/icon.html

I've been trying for YEARS to interest someone in commenting on the link. That article helped me understand JW thinking a LOT.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I liked the one in the back of the songbook, where there were not enough feet for the goobers singing with their mouths wide open. If you have the brown songbook, look on the back you'll see what I mean.

Dismembered

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

One thing I recently noticed in Watchtower pictures of Jesus being "impaled" - I compared several from different books. I could not find one where he's wearing a crown of thorns. Any other picture of the crucifixion I've seen from other religions always has the crown of thorns on Jesus' head.

W

• joebrown
    joebrown

Watchtower art is goofy but not subliminal.

sub·lim·i·nal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s
    adj. Psychology

1. Below the threshold of conscious perception. Used of stimuli.
    2. Inadequate to produce conscious awareness but able to evoke a response: subliminal propaganda.

Now if the 'Tower showed a picture of a disfellowshipped person looking angry and insane, THAT would be subliminal. (italics tag doesnt work)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Now if the 'Tower showed a picture of a disfellowshipped person looking angry and insane, THAT would be subliminal.

Yeah, but they often show pictures of active JWs that appear happy, and many of us know THAT'S a crock of shit.

W

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about the picture of the JW family off to field service, with a child glancing enviously behind at the "vacationing" family scooting off in the SUV? That image was last year, still engraved on my memory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit