Brainwashed Children

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 29 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

Those pictures are horrid things to show children!

I can't help but think it strange that I couldn't watch certain cartoons because they had violence in them but pictures like they above ones were encouraged?

Dams

• Fleur
    Fleur

Ah, yes, the Paradise book nightmares. My sister had them, bigtime. The Revelation book always bugged me, I was a teen by then and I thought the pictures were rather "demonic" to be in a publication trying to save people...

The one that always got me the most as a child was the picture in the Bible Story book of Abraham about to sacrifice Isaac. He had the knife to his throat, and Isaac was just laying there, submissive. I remember having read that "Abraham was a friend of Jehovah" and thinking even as a child, what kind of friend asks you to kill your child for no reason and expects you to do it?

This was when the whole "human sacrifice as ransom for human sin" thing started to stink to me. I didn't want Jesus to have to die for my sins. If I was bad, I figured I deserved to die. I didn't want anyone else to suffer for me, and it wasn't until my 20's that I really began to ask myself why a loving god would demand blood from one being to forgive the sins of another? It all struck me, suddenly, as being very barbaric. It still does.

The biggest influence on me was when I was a child, we went on vacation and in the old town we were visiting (touristy) there was a huge cathedral. I had never been in a church, and I don't know why my mother took us in. But I remember, being six years old, standing there with my mouth open and gaping holes in my grin where my baby teeth had fallen out...bursting into tears when I saw a lifesize image of Jesus on the cross. The nails, the blood, the look on his face, the thorny crown. I just dissolved. My mom said she felt bad, she didn't think about that in advance that I might see that inside and I just remember literally falling to my knees and sobbing and wanting to tell Jesus that I was sorry that he had to suffer for me.

Yes, JW children are brainwashed. And now in my mid-thirties I'm just beginning to realize how bad it really was.

I'm so glad my child is free.

essie

• jojochan
    jojochan
    Will they grow up hating worldly people?

When I was growing up in that crap, I did'nt hate then, I envied them. They could in my opinon live a normal life not worrying about being good so that you can live forever with people you could not stand to be around. They could actually have an independent thought.

THAT I envied about them so much.

Oh, I could right a book on that I tell ya.

jojochan.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Touched a nerve here, I see.

Like the rest, I had beaucoup Armageddon nightmares and fears. Mine came from the old orange "Paradise" book, which dates me as belonging to the over-40 crowd.

What disturbed me even more than the little girl and her doll and tricycle falling into the crack in the earth was the destruction of the puppy.

I could, in a warped and child-like way, understand Jehovah wanting to kill "bad" people, but what on earth could that puppy have done to deserve destruction? Peed on the carpet in the Kingdom Hall?

Nightmares. Eeesh.

Yes, I-follow-the-narrow-path, JW kids are raised to fear, distrust--and eventually, hate--worldly people. Except that the JWs call it "Christian love." What an example of weasel-words.

Jankyn

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    These children were only about 8-10.. this kinda makes me worry. Will they grow up hating worldly people?

Can go one of two ways: Either they stay brainwashed, and never get out of it. Then they will probably (well, hate is a strong word) detest/look down on worldly people. But if they (the adults,elders, etc) are unsuccesful in their indoctrination/brainwashing, the child will turn on their former masters and hate, hate, hate them. Like me. And if you decied to become a witness, have children, and your indoctrination/brainwashing of your children is unsuccesful, then they will probably hate you.

I am glad that you are still here, IFTNP, and I hope you are learning a lot.

• poppers
    poppers

Those pictures of destruction make me ask, why wouldn't god just have everyone who isn't worthy simply die, why would it be necessary for earthquakes, fire and brimstone, explosions, erupting volcanoes and so forth to happen? Couldn't god just wave his majic hand and have all those who didn't accept the WTBS party line just keel over dead? Does death have to be preceded by all of the melodrama of a world literally falling apart? There would be a lot less clean up afterward and more time for meetings, right? I can't view it as anything other than a scare tactic.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Thanks, everyone, for the reminder. I remember reading that new "Teacher" book to my daughter. I remember thinking it was a lot better than the original "Teacher" book, which is true. I remember telling other Witnesses (this is in the midst of my "checking out," but before it's complete, at least mentally) that I thought it was a great book, a huge departure for the Society.
    And then, yeah, I got to that page.

• loosie
    loosie
    Did you notice that the person on the right side of the picture looked just like a sheep, on my computer anyway.

OMG more sublimnal artwork

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great point Poppers. In case it is not bad enough that Jehovah is going to kill billions of people simply because they have never even heard of him, he is going to make sure they suffer as much as possible in the process, and then have vultures pick at their lifeless carcasses.

Just as an angel silently killed 185000 Assyrians in one night Jehovah could kill everyone in a painless instance. But then there would be no fear factor by which to control JW followers.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

For me it was fear. Lots of fear. I was terrified of "making it through" and I couldn't understand why anyone would not be a JW so they could survive.

It was at the age of 13-14, 1973-74 that I started to doubt and hate getting ready for the meetings. I knew that if God created the beautiful world, and babies, He would not destroy His own creations at Armageddon. I wasn't free and clear yet, unfortunatly. It took many more years to be free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit