True Christians neutral in War?

by Van Gogh 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Anyone that would conscientiously take his/her individual responsibility to refuse war could have a favorable position with Christ (including Muslims), including the many individual JWs. What is your position on those that profess to be Christian AND kill in a war?

According to whom? Didn't Jesus say to render unto "Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things that are Gods?" "Caesar's" draft during WWII was necessary to defeat the undeniable EVIL going on in the world. Evil will always exist and expand when 'good' people sit by and do nothing. We have the freedom to worship however we please (or not) because good people took a stand against evil and fought it. We are here typing freely on this board because of the blood and sacrifices of a generation who have almost passed away. Humanity was lucky to survive that ominous time.

• heathen
    heathen

personally I think it a fundamental christian ideology to be peaceful to all men all the time . There is no moral justification for killing people and it doesn't matter how evil some people appear . Usually when one tyrant is removed it is only replaced with another anyway . I would say that christians should have the faith to endure up til death even in defiance of human tendencies of violence . Jesus told his followrs they would be sheep among wolves ................

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

Problem with sinners punishing other sinners..is we can't see into the future...so you kill a man for committing a crime or lock him up forever...that man could actually go on to save millions of people someday...there is no waty we could ever know without that ability. look at the Apostle Paul. What if the apostles killed him for his role in the murder of Stephen?

In a "war" when you are outmanned and outgunned...if you take the most evil person of them all..convert them...do not all their followers still follow them? Much easier way of "taking care of business" IMO. perhaps that is God's way of handling things. I can only speculate.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Kenneson:
    I’m trying to approach this subject from someone’s (perhaps mine as well) gut perspective (naked faith) of what could be an identifying mark of true individual Christians that ironically happens to be expressed through an organization that stands between (as in obstructs) Christ and his members. It could either be an objectionable “wonderful work” (Matthew 7:22-23) or an identifying mark of people who are unwittingly Christian in their conduct a la Matthew 25:35-40 (Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee?)
    In this perspective it is the end result and the sincere motivation of love that counts, whether originating from a Quaker or a Jdub. Whatever other beliefs are professed by such persons about a war-killing God are harmless and inconsequential, however right or wrong they might turn out to be. Besides, Christ is said to have turned the other cheek, and is said to have admonished his followers to love their enemies.
    Admittedly, I’m in a tight corner here, judging by the answers I am getting here. This is where Narkissos saves my ass, as he – as usual - concisely phrases where my (friends) position originates from: The post-WW II European pacifist perspective. The indelible experience of war and racism ensuing from nineteenth-century nationalism and war. German Christians ended up fighting for what were perceived as just wars from 1870 onwards. They ended up on the wrong side of the (ultimately concentration camp) fence. My dads Catholic cousins were proud of their Hitler Jugend uniforms, raised as they were with their anti British and anti Communist sentiments. My dads uncle served in the Waffen SS in Russia. To them, fighting the commies was just, as it was later on to the Americans in Korea and Vietnam (Kissinger did some orchestrating there). Enlisting in the army, one did not have the option of ticking a box for either A. Auschwitz B. Stalingrad or C. the Western Allies. So I am a bit apprehensive as to the validity of defending your country or cause.
    Here in the Netherlands, at the war memorial on Liberation Day 5th of May (Holland was mainly liberated by Canadians, so thank you Jgnat). Jehovahs Witnesses are often mentioned in the official speeches. A disproportionate 110.000 Jews never returned to the Netherlands, and Jdubs somehow were spared sharing the shame of my dads family. WW II contributed to both sets of my grandparents becoming JWs.
    Narkissos: “really grounded on individual conscience, not the rules of an organization imposed to its members under social penalty.” This indeed negates the value of the average, individual JWs neutrality stance. A strong argument.
    Jgnat:
    Who do we need to use swords against? Bully Saddam H who was armed and created by a Western sword industry doing the dirty work of killing hundreds of thousands of Iranians by proxy? Who decides who are the bullies? At one time the Russians thought the bullies were NATO and NATO thought the bullies were in the USSR. You will get caught up in a political matrix doing politicians dirty work. Vietnam vets and thousands of Dutch casualties in post WW II Indonesia will confirm this.
    M.J.
    Yes, self defense is clearly defined until the worms crawl out of the can. That’s where you’re bound to end up.
    Gumby:
    Christians could have taken up arms to defend themselves against persecution. No Pax Romana there. They did not take up arms. Perhaps a single battle can be noble, not a whole war. Even Gandhi understood the merits of non-violence.
    Metatron:
    We are talking from the perspective of a Christian – true or not. From your perspective I could perhaps agree. But I won’t. Why use war instead of preventative measures of social justice for solving problems in Congo or Darfur? It is all politics. They failed horribly in Rwanda. Why get caught up in it.
    Auldsoul:
    The identifying mark of Jesus' disciples is love. This could in a rudimentary way be applied to abstinence of war. I agree, the only way in which love can be demonstrated is individually, not the rules of an organization imposed to its members under social penalty. So your logic works for me? I’m not so sure about your contrasting of organization vs individual. There is a lot of talk in Christianity of body and congregation. Besides, I am not defending an organization. It is about group of sincere peace loving individuals who through their actions could also be shunned or hated by society in general. Like my friend, me or Narkissos, this could be cause for - at one time or another - identifying with a part of Christianity which happens to occur within an organization.
    VG

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Didn't Jesus say to render unto "Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things that are Gods?" "Caesar's" draft during WWII was necessary to defeat the undeniable EVIL going on in the world.

LOL. Who was "Caesar" in Germany or Japan?

Remember, other than America countries are not always on the "right" side...

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

What things are God's? What things are Ceasars?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson
    "The lion and the calf will lay down together, but the calf won't get much sleep." Woody Allen.

Other groups, not yet mentioned, who do not participate in war include the Mennonites, the Brethren (Dunkers), Hutterites, and the Bruderhoffs.

• heathen
    heathen

I really think the bottom line is that when people go to war they are not doing God any favors they are serving men and they are trying to support the lesser of two evils where as by not participating and making a stand for peace you are reflecting the teachings of christ and not defaming him . I think most "christian" religions blaspheme and defame christ with their political involvement and support of a man made ruling system and we know that jesus said it was satan that ruled that scene anyway . The 666 beast in Revelation is a clear cut case of fanatical devotion toward a human political monster that is in opositon to God and people are forced one way or the other to worship it but are not even forgiven for it .

obviously religion is an organization that requires conformity to a life style of worship . I think individuality is suppressed when it comes to serving the higher power of truth .

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Other religions that do not participate in war are the Church of the Brethren, Mennonites and Society of Friends, Amish, Hutterites, and others in the Anabaptist tradition, Doukhobors, Molokans, Bruderhof Communities, Schwenkfelders, Moravians many groups of Brethren, and many groups within the Pentecostal movement. Several other smaller groups have been peace churches, including some now extinct or nearly so such as the Shakers.

However the bible does not forbid war. Christians can justify war are righteous just as the Jews did. Peter was equiped for violence. Paul showed that war is sometimes necessary. (Romans 13:1-4) 13 Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, ... 4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear: for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword; for it is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad.

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

How do they know what is bad? How come they sometimes punish even execute innocent people? Is that God making a mistake? Or them? Are they out of control or something?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit