Do you think that most "thin"people have hatred towards "heavy" people?

by booker-t 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I have been on both sides of this issue myself.

When I was younger, I was very thin and had the experience of heavier women instantly hating me and making snide remarks about me without even knowing me. Now, I am quite a bit heavier and I have had the experience of thin people who have never known a weight problem making rude comments about my weight.

When I was thin, I had some very overweight friends who were some of the nicest, kindest people I ever met. When I was heavy, I never lost one of my beautiful thin friends, because I chose them as my friends because they were great people, not because they were thin and beautiful.

What I have learned from my experiences on every spectrum of the weight scale is that there are superficial, rude and obnoxious jerks in every shape, size, color and gender. There are also beautiful, wonderful, caring people in every shape, size, color and gender. Avoid the former and search out the latter.

Cog.

Cog- I could not have said it any better. EXactomundo...

• snarf
    snarf

I have heard just as many rude comments about overly thin people as well as overweight people. Pretty sad, people need to stop and think sometimes. In my experience being thin doesn't last forever, having a child does some pretty weird things to your body. As you get older your metabolism slows down. There are many reasons for weight gain. I have a hypothyroid so I can go from a size 8 to a size 14 in the blink of an eye (it seems). Kudos to you on your weight loss goals. I know several "overweight" people that eat way less than "underweight" people. I wish people would judge other people on personalities and character other than outward appearance.

• jstalin
    jstalin

I don't hate fat people. I used to be the fat kid in early high school, and then I lost the weight through diet and exercise. I understand what it is to be on both sides. However, when I see people who are very overweight, I have a feeling of disgust because I know it can be worked off, the person just chooses not to, for one reason or another. I particularly get annoyed at the fat people who use the scooters at the grocery store just because they are fat.

• daystar
    daystar

cog put it nicely

What I have learned from my experiences on every spectrum of the weight scale is that there are superficial, rude and obnoxious jerks in every shape, size, color and gender. There are also beautiful, wonderful, caring people in every shape, size, color and gender. Avoid the former and search out the latter.

I wasn't just thin when I was younger, I was skinny. When you're over six feet tall, male, and weigh in at only around 140lbs if lucky, you don't get a whole lot of respect. I was picked on by some people.

Skinny guys get picked on too, and made fun of, and scoffed at...

I don't think there is a general "hatred" towards heavy or thin people though. Well, except for Europeans who detest us "fat Americans". j/k

• juni
    juni

Keeping that thought in mind jstalin, you still don't know the reason for their overweight problem. I feel w/all people - those who are very thin, overweight, homosexual, homely, beautiful physically, mentally retarded, handicapped, etc. they ALL deserve our kindness. We all have our problems and different backgrounds to deal with. We should not use hurtful words or condescending looks.

I had enough of the backbiting and malicious gossiping in the congregations that I attended. I refuse to go there again.

Juni

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    However, when I see people who are very overweight, I have a feeling of disgust because I know it can be worked off, the person just chooses not to, for one reason or another.

As someone who is overweight because of health problems, I can say with all certainty that this statement is evidence that you don't know shit.

W

• jstalin
    jstalin

I was just being honest.

Being homely or gay aren't things one can change, but everyone's different in their nutritional needs. Weight and fat content are products of input versus output. Now, granted, there are people who naturally retain a higher level of body fat (me, for instance), but it's not something that can't be overcome. It really is a simple equation, but there are many who will try to deny that.

Finally-free, I didn't intend to offend you or anyone, just point out that weight is within everyone's control. I know it's not easy.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I don't know if there is a hatred towards heavy people, but there are preconceptions about heavy people:

1. They're gluttons.

2. They eat junk food

3. They're lazy and don't exercise.

Preconceptions maybe,but often true.Is the word "heavy" a new buzzword for a fat person?Obviously it is.Why dont we just call a spade a spade for Gawds sake?

Though a person who has serious health issues deserves everyones support(please remember i said that!!),i dont think the same can be said for a greedy or lazy person.Obesity in America is a big problem it would appear and the problem in Britain and Europe seems to be getting worse.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Weight and fat content are products of input versus output.

And I suppose that the manner in which each person's body processes the input has no bearing on the output? Regardless of whether a person's organs are functioning properly? Gee whiz! I'm gonna have to enlighten my doctors on this one!

W

• juni
    juni

jstalin -

You're still not getting it. What if I said that being gay is within your ability to change? You would disagree based on you as a person and your makeup. Also true w/someone who has weight problems. Some try extremely hard to lower their weight and can't. Others are in a wheelchair due to a disease and can't exercise enough along w/lowering their food intake. As one gets older the metabolism slows down and it is very hard to get the weight off, but some still try their hardest.

You're young. You will find out that this is true as you age unless you are a rare human being. Being young you see things in black or white. As you go on in your life you'll understand what I'm trying to tell you. Write again about this in another 10 years.

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit