Do you think that most "thin"people have hatred towards "heavy" people?

by booker-t 42 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

I know this might sound abit "paranoid" but as I mentioned on other posts before I am a "heavy" person who is losing weight. So far I have lost 65 pounds and I am still losing through a "strict"diet and exercise. I was at a restaurant the other day and there were 4 "thin" people sitting at a table across from a "very heavy overweight" man. These 4 people were making very cruel comments about this guy who was not bothering anybody and mining his own business. I could not believe how "rude" people could be. They were making grunting noises like a pig everytime the man went up to get some more food. We were in a buffet restaurant so he went up several times. I was terrified to get my food for fear they would be making fun of me. Being overweight makes you very "paranoid" around thin people because you are always wondering what they are saying about you behind your back. I saw several "thin" people go up to the buffet several times and these 4 thin people did not make any comments but as soon as the heavyset guy went up then they had a problem with it. I know from personal experience that "thin" people can eat until their stomachs bust open and nobody seems to make a comment but as soon as a "heavy" person gets a second helping you would think that World War 3 was here. I have heard many "horror stories" from other overweight people saying how thin people have been rude to them. One guy told me that his friend did not want him in his wedding because of his weight. I went through the exact same thing when some years back my "best"friend drop me from his wedding party because I was too heavy. I was so hurt I could have cried a million tears. But my friend got his come-uppings because his fiance ran off with another man and the wedding never took place. Posters do you have thin friends that hate heavy people or do you know some thin people that hate heavy people or are we just "paranoid"?

• under_believer
    under_believer

Yes. Humans suck.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Those people were very rude and immature in their behaviour, I never heard anyone behave in that way though obese people may not be attractive as marriage partners.

• ballistic
    ballistic

That is disgusting behaviour. I used to be a big man (19 stone) and I lost all my weight. People now describe me as thin. So I don't mind if someone tells a fat joke. Hell, there's a brunt to every joke. But saying something within earshot or behind someone's back or a direct attack is childish and as a group cowardice. I would personally get up and see what they really had to say.

• juni
    juni

If I had a thin friend who made rude comments about someone heavy and they wouldn't stop it, they wouldn't be my friend anymore. I feel everyone deserves respect. I've been on both sides of the thin/heavy scale. I'm still the same person with the same feelings.

Juni (wish you the best in your weight loss; sounds like you're doing a great job!)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Next time you experience something similar, go up to those 'human' who are wasting good flesh and tell them "You know, movies are made about people like you. Your self-righteous, ignorant comments that put other humans down are the reason some good people go postal and end up taking your sorry ass*s out"

• Robdar
    Robdar

I've been amazed at how many "nice", thin people think that it's okay to make fun of over-weight people. Of course, they do this behind the heavy person's back. However, being thin, I've also been on the receiving end of rude remarks by over-weight people. Especially over-weight women who have taken an instant dislike to me because I'm thin. I've decided that anybody who makes fun of somebody else because of their weight or lack of weight is an assh*le.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I have been on both sides of this issue myself.

When I was younger, I was very thin and had the experience of heavier women instantly hating me and making snide remarks about me without even knowing me. Now, I am quite a bit heavier and I have had the experience of thin people who have never known a weight problem making rude comments about my weight.

When I was thin, I had some very overweight friends who were some of the nicest, kindest people I ever met. When I was heavy, I never lost one of my beautiful thin friends, because I chose them as my friends because they were great people, not because they were thin and beautiful.

What I have learned from my experiences on every spectrum of the weight scale is that there are superficial, rude and obnoxious jerks in every shape, size, color and gender. There are also beautiful, wonderful, caring people in every shape, size, color and gender. Avoid the former and search out the latter.

Cog.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

All I know is in this age of political correctness, it is still okay to make fun of people if they are:

1.Fat

2.Short

or

3. Bald

You see it movies, on television, and in a lot of jokes. The last of the "safe" groups that can be made fun of without any serious repercussions....

• serendipity
    serendipity

I don't know if there is a hatred towards heavy people, but there are preconceptions about heavy people:

1. They're gluttons.

2. They eat junk food

3. They're lazy and don't exercise.

Even though I'm plump, my diet and exercise habits would put most Americans to shame - well-ok mostly my diet, because it's *very* healthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit