607 bce or 587 bce

by jw 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shazard
    Shazard

Those 20 missing years is very explained (now I will be advocat for JW). The events was very far long away in history. It is very plausable that we just don't have discovered missing king(s). We don't know cleary all the history (except 607bc) so probably the missing Kings will be discovered soon before end comes. ;)
    p.s. I am not JW, just can adopt their thinking for fun! They really don't like when I do that!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I promised myself I wouldn't read this thread when it appeared a few days ago. So - if 607 is wrong, then 1914 is wrong. Yep, that's about the size of it.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

What intrigued me was how the text kept refering to apostates. That is an interesting play on psychology against the R&F. Basically don't listen to the alternative view as they from THOSE apostates which Jehovah will destroy.

Looking through all the dates and their significance or lack thereof, again at some point the bible associates the name, Jehovah with death, destruction and killing of people. Does this not disturb these, love thy neighbour, Christians enough to research into the nature of this jewish God? He sounds so pagan-like.

I really can't get my head round this dichotomy.

• Jeffro
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Excellent material and well done for presenting this material as it certainly vindicates the sacred date of 607 BCE for the Fall of Jerusalem rather than the demonic date of 585 or 587 BCE promoted by the Devil, higher critics and apostates. I will certainly use this material along with my other files on chronology to uphold and defend our illustrious Bible chronology developed by the celebrated WT scholars using God's Word and Holy Spirit.

Get with the times, 'scholar'! This article was thorougly debunked some time ago.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

For jw, scholar, and whoever crafted that bit of idiocy in the first post on this thread:

Arguments for 587 BCE are scripturally flawed, causing four Bible prophecies to fail.

It only seems that way because idiotic JW apologists—who create extensive, and ultimately baseless, one-sided Web arguments (like their Governing Body overlords)—believe that the references to "seventy years" in 2 Chronicles, Zechariah, and Daniel are prophetic. Ostensibly (according to the texts) these three references were recorded after the 70 years had ended, in the reign of Darius or afterward.

Examining Jeremiah's references without consideration of interpretation read into Jeremiah (reportedly by Ezra) or modern-day interpretation inserted into the words of Daniel or Zechariah dissolves every trace of conflict with secular history.

According to secular history, in 609 BC the "fall back" Assyrian capital of Harran was captured after a siege by Nabopolassar's army. Ashur-uballit II fled as the city fell, and the Assyrian empire was ended. The Assyrian-Egyptian alliance (with assistance of Ethiopian archers through the Egyptians) was broken, thus weakening the Egyptian empire to the point that it could no longer effectively project power beyond its borders, and thus the Babylonian empire emerged as the dominant world power in 609 BC.

The entire Assyrian empire and more fell immediately under the dominion of the Babylonian empire, and much that was not under its direct dominion was nonetheless greatly affected by the smothering influence of Babylon's power.

The Babylonian empire fell in 539 BC, 70 years after it rose to its status as the dominant world power. This fits perfectly with Jeremiah 25, 27, 29, and 51 as well as with Isaiah 13 and Daniel 5. The explanation offered by the Watchtower Society ignores completely Jeremiah's repeated caution to subject themselves under the yoke of Babylon's dominion and thus spare the ruination. If the ruination had to occur in order to fulfill prophecy, why offer warning of a means to avoid it? But, indeed, we find such warning clearly stated and dramatically illustrated in a physical way in Jeremiah 27.

In other words, the human interpretation offered by the Watchtower Society is not even in keeping even with the statements of the prophetic texts, while it does seem to agree somewhat with the interpretation of some who wrote after the 70 years had passed. But the texts written after the passage of the 70 years could hardly "prophecies" in any predictive sense, and the writers of those texts did not claim to be prophesying when they wrote. Only Jeremiah puts forward that claim. Well, Jeremiah toward many nations and Isaiah toward Tyre.

Neither Daniel, nor Ezra, nor Zechariah claimed to be speaking Jehovah's words when referring to the 70 years. Daniel claimed to be trying to understand it. Ezra thought he understood it and recorded an interpretation of it that was held at the time (much the same as the Governing Body does today). Zechariah records that the angel of Jehovah was asking about it, not explaining it, and, what's more, the angel was asking about the 70 years in the past tense during the reign of Darius.

I really think this discussion is much simpler than you and the Watchtower Society try to make it.

AuldSoul

• jw
    jw

This was written by an apostate .

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    This was written by an apostate

Then you shouldn't listen to the ramblings of an apostate.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    This was written by an apostate ...

...and is hopelessly flawed on many different bases.

NEWS FLASH: Apostates don't have a central authority of information from which they speak and which dictates all their doctrine to them by rote through reading, rephrasing, and auditory input. Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, do have such an authority—that claims in writing to perform the functions just stated.

NEWS FLASH: Apostate are humans. Humans are susceptible to erroneous conclusions and retention of strange fragments of doctrine learned by rote. The Governing Body are humans, too. (Psalm 146:3)

AuldSoul

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    This was written by an apostate .

What was written by an apostate? Those articles that you posted? I don`t think soooooo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit