607 bce or 587 bce

by jw 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

scholar,

When will you stop playing at knowledge and prove that you have a workable kings list that does not directly contradict the WT scholars? 587/86 is a difference of some few months, in dispute for exactly the reasons Farkel gave (although most scholars don't word the dispute that way ). It isn't the difference of even a whole year, yet you seem to be completely at ease with a missing 20 years (or by your best calculation offered to date, a missing 27 years—allowing for some mysterious 7 year period you get only from Ptolemy's Canon and surmisation about the effects of what is recorded at Daniel 4).

You ignore Adda-Guppi (Nabonidus' mother) entirely, you ignore the contemporary Egibi banking documents that span the entire period, you ignore the significance of the Hillah Stele (Nabon. No. 8) and the year 555 BC (Nabonidus' first year, according to both secular scholars and WT scholars), from which absolute date, the absolute date 539 BC is derived.

If you simply agree that Nabonidus' first year was 555 BC, you then have to explain which king or kings made his mother live to be either 124 or 126 years of age.

If you agree with the WT scholars kings list, you have to explain why 20 years of banking business went unrecorded or unstored, and why there are documents spanning the reigns of every king in the Babylonian line—without interruption.

You have not responded to the fact that Jeremiah (while wearing the yoke for Judah) asked (for Jehovah) why "this city" (Jerusalem) should become a devastated place.

Your scholarship is not even amateurish, much less remarkable. I know that and I haven't even read the Johnsson hypothesis you keep winding on about. I would much rather go with a chronology that has difficulty pinning down a period of a few months (that spanned the turn of a year) rather than a chronology that has—at very best, being given every benefit of credulity—a problem pinning down 20 years. Actually, though, your hypothesis regarding the 7 years of Nebuchadnezzar's debasement as being the start of another rulers's reign would not help your argument...it would mean you lost 27 years somewhere. Of course, you only brought it up to call into question secular chronology, without a second thought to the complications it would present to your chronology.

So, please stop pussyfooting around the issue at hand. We are talking chronology. Stop yakking about the problems with secular chronology versus Bible chronology and present yours. For Babylon, not for Jerusalem. Take for granted that we have read the Bible and know for certain that it doesn't contain the dates 555 BC, 607 BC, 539 BC, or 537 BC. Starting from there, prove your point. Give us the course of events (and dates) for Babylon—forgetting that Jerusalem existed, for the moment.

AuldSoul

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Correct, Daniel discerned that Babylon fell in 539 and was encouraged by the imminent release of the exiles with a two years at 537. Well Done!

Typical that you would remove the original comments and twist things to make it seem like I agreed with you. Ezekiel 40:1 makes it quite evident that the exile began did not begin at the same time as the temple's destruction, so your lies are irrelevant. Of course, the exile wasn't the starting point of the 70 years anyway, nations serving Babylon was. The 70 years ended in 539, which is the only interpretation supported by Jeremiah's original definition of the period.

Paul's canonization of scripture would equal that of modern day canonization of 66 books making up the Holy Scriptures, all inspired of God.

There is absolutely no basis for that comment, as the canonization happened hundreds of years after Paul. It is possible, if not likely, that Paul considered that other writings were also canonical.

Zechariah was discussing the seventy years of Jeremiah and that is proven by the context of both separate chapters where reference is made to past experience of ensalvement and exile in Babylon.

Daniel unlike yourself knew exactly the chronology of that one seventy year period as foretold by Jeremiah ending in 537 BCE with the Return of the exiles home.

The facts say otherwise, and I've been through all of this so many times before, which you have never once been able to properly refute. I couldn't be bothered trying to reason with you any more tonight.

• Farkel
    Farkel

scholar,

I actually used WT chronology, which you conveniently forgot to mention.

You argument falls if you believe WT chronology and your argument is idiotic if you don't and you try to support it as a non-believer in WT stupidity.

Farkel

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Well there we have it only one out of three scholars accepts 587 with the majority of scholars accepting 586. Why then do you arbitrarily select 587 rather than 586?

There is nothing arbitrary about it. I just use the information in the bible as my primary source. Jeremiah 52:12. Jeremiah did not use the accession-year system, so by his reckoning, Nebuchadnezzar's 1st year was 605 (very well attested by both Neo-Babylonian chronology and other sources), and the fifth month of his 19th year was around August of 587.

I am rather happy to be amongst those scholars who fit into the 0% category accepting 607.

Or to put it another way, ignorance is bliss.

• Farkel
    Farkel

AuldSoul,

Farkel is chuckling whilst "scholar" urinates in his pants and just hopes everyone would forget his moronic attempts to justify something without a shred of facts.

Just like his (or his "pretend") religious masters in Brooklyn having been doing for 125 years.

to "scholar-troll": we DON'T forget your moronic attempts and will all jump over you with mega-links to your former masterpieces of idiocy should you emerge from your cave in the future and toss your red-herrings so flies and maggots and other unthinking creatures can flock to them.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit