The DaVinci Code -- overreaction or a chance to rumble?

by cruzanheart 47 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Here's an excerpt from a bbc.co.uk article I just read:

"The Holy Koran recognises Jesus as a prophet. What the book says is an insult to both Christians and Muslims," Maulana Mansoor Ali Khan, general secretary of the All-India Sunni Jamiyat-ul-Ulema, told the Reuters news agency.

"Muslims in India will help their Christian brothers protest this attack on our common religious belief," he said.

His stance was supported by Syed Noori, president of Mumbai-based Raza Academy, a Muslim cultural organisation that organises protests on issues concerning Islam.

"If the government doesn't do anything, we will try our own ways of stopping the film from being shown," he said. "We are prepared for violent protests in India if needed."

So now the Muslims are offended by a movie depicting an obscure offshoot of the Catholic Church in a sinister light. And they're prepared for VIOLENT PROTESTS IF NEEDED. Oh boy, let's get out the guns and bats and flame-throwers! Hollywood made a movie with a controversial story line! Time to throw a temper tantrum that will destroy property and send people to the hospital or morgue! But that's not THEIR fault -- it's the fault of the evil Americans who made the movie.

Geez, it's not even supposed to be that good of a movie. Shouldn't they save their protests for something that's more Oscar-worthy? If they'd just sit back and wait, it will fade quietly into a rental DVD before they know it.

Nina

edited to remove the "box" ~ Scully

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Rats, I can't get that little box out of the quote. Oh well, the pertinent parts are highlighted and show up, so my sarcasm isn't totally unintelligible.

Nina

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

overreaction or a chance to rumble?

both...It seems "some" people look for any reason for acts of violence.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

That does it, all those fanatical AH are just making me want to see it even more. I am waiting for all the opening day hype to die down. Will

• bem
    bem

It seems anything that has to do with religion brings out the worst in people, And I'm sure it brings out the best too. But when it comes to movies any time there is a chance for somebody with as cause to get in the limelight and protest they will use it.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think the book and movie offer an excellent opportunity for believers to stop and question their belief and possibly come to some conclusion they had never considered before.

Blind faith is the most dangerous faith of all.

BTW... I just saw the movie and it is GREAT! A definite Go See!

I can't help but suspect that the poor critical reviews across the board are nothing more than a conspiracy perpetrated by the Catholic Church.

• Dune
    Dune

I saw the movie too and i loved it, the critics are just full of it.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I read the book and seen the movie. The movie sticks to the book. I don't understand the fuss, the book and movie are works of fiction. People will believe what they want and have every right to do that without being threathened by other belief systems that different groups of people were born into or converted into.

Blueblades

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Interestingly, they downplay the Council of Nicea, which is potentially more explosive than over-analyzing Da Vinci's Last Supper. If the Bible-bangers found out that a PAGAN (Constantine) picked the books in the Bible, they might be a tad more reasonable.

-silent

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Interestingly, they downplay the Council of Nicea, which is potentially more explosive than over-analyzing Da Vinci's Last Supper. If the Bible-bangers found out that a PAGAN (Constantine) picked the books in the Bible, they might be a tad more reasonable.

This is an ahistorical myth. The Da Vinci Code misrepresents what happened there, as do many others (Tony Bushby most egregiously). See for example:

http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/nicaea.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit