Is this the ultimate question to ask a JW?

by jwfacts 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

No, what is it about?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

No, what is it about?

;

lol! Don't know yet. I put 1919 doctrine in the search engine to see how many different things popped up. Came up with a book that apparently has a lot to say about breaking some sort of code in the bible with regard to a time frame spanning 1919 to 1941. I was looking for something with more of an explanation. Don't really want to buy the book to find out. Could be about anything from the cold war to someone’s birthday to UFOs for all I know.

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

Great question, I like it. I will be filing that one in the memory bank for the next conversation with my father. However, I think it will only leave the door open for a constant circular reasoning debate. I think it's is a good idea for planting a little seed of doubt, even if it's tiny, it may flourish. One can only hope. MP

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

OK I was skimming through it too fast and ran it together with 1919 book about world power

here is a better link.

http://www.shop.com/op/~Prophecy_and_Authority_A_Study_in_the_History_of_the_Doctrine_and_Interpretation_of_Scripture_1919_p_b_Condition:_b_New-prod-25290054

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

It's completely pointless to try and argue with most JW's on the basis of dates etc, because to most of them it makes no difference even if the Society is wrong on those things. All you end up doing is going around in circles because as Drew Sagan said, it is their blend of other core doctrines that gives the Society legitimacy in the rank and files minds. The fact that JW's are by far the biggest religion to preach against the Trinity, hellfire, immortal soul, paradise hope, etc etc is what keeps them enthralled. As long as the Society keep teaching those things the great majority will always stick with them no matter what.

• dozy
    dozy
    Re: Is this the ultimate question to ask a JW?

No - it doesn't work. I would have responded by turning up Dan 12:4 "As for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about; and the [true] knowledge will become abundant." and applying it to Pauls words when he talked about "one faith , one baptism" and Jesus words in Matt 7 about a "narrow road".

As another poster has said , there isn't a "killer question" to ask JWs - nobody asked me one in over 30 years of field service. The average JW's devotion is based on a complex blend of association , family ties , loyalty , a genuine love for God and the bible and an earnest desire to see better times ahead , compounded by a clever and manipulative WTS and allied to a (perceived) complete lack of any viable alternative form of worship.

JWs are far more likely to leave because of unrest in their own congregation than a purely academic deconstruction of whether God has adopted an organisation and whether or not the WTS measures up to such a concept.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    As another poster has said , there isn't a "killer question" to ask JWs - nobody asked me one in over 30 years of field service

I agree there isn't one question to fit all JW,s.

I think you need to find the one issue that the individual has with the organisation that bothers them,

even if it is a trival issue.

Show interest in that particular issue and........ is this starting to sound like the service meeting?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

You could ask that instead of wearing a cross around your neck, would it be considered idolatry to having gold jewlery made of Ezekiel's "wheel within a wheel."

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit