Is this the ultimate question to ask a JW?

by jwfacts 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

People always ask what subject they should raise with their JW relatives. The problem is, what is important to you is often of no consequence to me. No one knows what will be THE ISSUE to change a relatives mind. If you raise doctrine, they will have some arguement, if you raise a controvesy they will deny it.

In another thread someone recently said "Why should we have to prove anything to them, make them prove it to us" What a great point. Put the onus of proof on the JWs. In legal circles you do not want to be the person that has the onus of proof on you, as then you have to do all the hard work proving something.

You could start with "I don't want to discuss doctrine. There are sincere scholars in every religion that say their doctrine is correct and have lots of scriptures to back it up. I am not a scholar, I don't really know which one is more accurate"

So here is the question;

"Mum/Dad/Sis, I need you to prove to me that God chose the Watchtower Society to be the only acceptable religion in 1919? I can't see any real scriptural indication that there would be a new organisation start in the last days that a person has to be part of or that it would be in 1919."

Could that work, and is there anything else that can be added?

• Highlander
    Highlander

You bring up a good point. It's to our advantage to put the burden of proof on them. Especially so, when they claim to have the only 'true' religion. Therefore they need

to prove it.

I recently asked a question similiar to what you have proposed. I had stated to someone that I don't believe that the GB and the watchtower corp is jehovah's organization.

I asked this person when they were appointed? How were they appointed? Did jehovah send a certified letter? A fax? An email? Obviously I was being a bit snotty,

but the response I received was this: 'fine, I don't want to talk about it, I'm just not as smart as you!" I replied that I'm not any more intelligent than the next guy, I'm just simply

asking for a legitimate answer to their claim that the watchtower corp and GB are appointed by jehovah.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I have had people in the past playing onus of proof mind games with me but with the JWs I don't mind proving things to them because they are quite easy to prove, on the other hand it would be more fair if they shared the onus of proof.

Taking their claim that Jesus chose them in 1919 it is obvious that he did not because nearly 100 years later they can't quite make up their mind on what the truth is (very erratic doctrine) and the WTS leaders with Rutherford first and foremost had/have most unchristian personalities and the Christ would never approve of such people. In the year 2006, unlike the early Christian church, they still don't understand christian fundamentals like charitable works.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It would be a good question, but you wouldn't get a straight answer. I would have done my best to avoid answering questions like that when I was a jw.

A friend of dedpoet's, one of his work colleagues, was sick of getting visits from the jws, so dp gave her a list of questions they dislike being asked. She used a few, and shared them with her neighbours, and the jws are rarely seen around her street now. They loved to try to tell her about the paradise etc, but didn't like her posing questions that they hadn't "prepared" for (that was what one of them said to her). She said she would be willing to listen to their answers at a later date. That was 2 months ago, and she is still waiting.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Personally I think this is a great question as well. No other teaching of the WTS goes so far out into left field as does the 1919 doctrine. It is absurd in every way. The problem is that so many witnesses are confused as to what the real teaching on this is that they reason it's not of big importance. They will allways do the same thing, reason that since the WTS teaches about paradise earth, no trinity, no holidays, and no hellfire it is the truth.

• KW13
    KW13

i like it.

• Shazard
    Shazard

It's eazy. What they do is proove you that all other religions has faulties and have obviously different practice of faith then one talked in Bible. Then they will provide you with meny "criteria" for "true religion" and then they provoe thet WT is exactly one which fulfills the criteria :) You have to be clever to notice their assumtions from plain air. Ones who know what IS written in Bible will be able to ask questons. Others will be just "love bombed"!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I like it....simple and to the point.

lisa

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

No logical questions or proven facts have helped my sister to see. She has only drawn further away from her whole family. She says she doesn't have to prove thats she is right to us and all the other usaul robotic answers. I don't know if their is anything at all that will ever help some people get out.

• Forscher
    Forscher

The question goes to the heart of their percieved authority. Without a clear-cut answer to it they cannot authoritatively speak to much of anything else. Not bad.
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit