Assemblies

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 42 Replies latest jw friends

• I-follow-the-narrow-path
    I-follow-the-narrow-path

So I was invited to an assembly by my JW teacher
    Can anyone tell me about it? What goes on there? Should I go?
    I think I will be pretty bored and feel out of place. It is a 3 day assembly this summer and the JW said they were to invite everyone (interested).
    Any advice?
    Thanks Elizabeth :)

• uninformed
    uninformed

IFTNP--

If you are 17 and want to ruin your life, I would go with her. The assembly will be impressive, and look like it is a serious group of Bible loving people, but at heart, they aren't.

It is a dysfunctional mess. Ask your teacher about the WT teachings and conduct with the UN.

Ask your teacher about how much of your life will be fair game for the elders if you become one of them.

Ask your teacher how many of the young ones go to college.

Ask your teacher if the young ones are moral or if they get into quite a bit of trouble.

Ask your teacher what it means to live a double life.

Ask your teacher what Jesus really means to her. She won't be able to answer your without changing the subject to Jehovah, or his organization. She'll wind it up by telling you all about the 'faithful and discreet slave'.

Run like hell.

Uninformed

• uninformed
    uninformed

Oh yeah,

Ask her how many times she has acutally read the Bible through.--Cover to cover.

She will twist in the wind on that one, but if you pin her down, my bet is that she never has.

U

• blondie
    blondie

How long can you sit, Elizabeth?

Each session morning and afternoon is about 3 hours long with a 1-1/2 lunch break.

You have to bring your own food and drink.

Be prepared for the seats to be hard and uncomfortable.

Buy 3 dresses or skirts/tops because only men/boys wear trousers.

Be prepared for it to be either freezing or roasting in the facility.

The talks are manuscripted so the speaker will not having much of his personality in it.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060513/GPG0406/605130571/1250/GPGlife

Annual Jehovah's Witnesses convention offers 'deliverance'

Public sessions begin May 26 at the Resch

By Jean Peerenboom [email protected] May 13, 2006

"Deliverance at Hand" is the theme for the Jehovah's Witnesses district convention May 26 to 28 at the Resch Center.

Serving parts of Wisconsin, Michigan and the Upper Peninsula, the convention opens the season for district meetings throughout the United States. Nearly 11 million people attended the 2,981 district conventions last year.

The local convention begins each day at 9:30 a.m. The topics and events include:

• May 26: "Be Attentive to Jehovah's Promises of Deliverance" and "How Jehovah Delivers 'the Poor One Crying for Help'" in the morning. The keynote address will be "Jehovah's Provisions for Our Everlasting Deliverance." The afternoon session's topics are "Jehovah Tenderly Cares for Older Ones," "Deliverance From Painful Distress" and "The Role of Angels in Rendering Public Service." The four-part symposium "Jehovah-Provider of Escape" precedes the session's final discourse "No Opposing Weapon or Tongue Will Succeed."

• May 27: "Continue in the Ministry Without Letup" opens the morning. Other talks are "Delivered From the Trap of the Birdcatcher" and "Searching Into the Deep Things of God."

The Saturday morning program concludes with a talk followed by baptism in water for those who qualify.

The afternoon sessions are "Keep a Scriptural View of Health Care," "What Spirit Dominates Your Life?" "Maintain a Threefold Cord in Marriage," "Young People, Remember, Now, Your Grand Creator" and "Are You Living with Jehovah's Day in Mind?"

• May 28: The morning symposium is "The Kingdom of the Heavens is Like …" Four talks briefly discuss some of Jesus' parables. The final morning talk will introduce a convention highlight, the full-costume drama based on Chpter 13 of the Bible book of First Kings. The final convention session is "Deliverance by God's Kingdom Is at Hand."

All sessions are open to the public. There are no admission fees and no collections are taken, according to the organizers.

The Jehovah's Witnesses religion is based on first-century Christianity, according to James Senger, city overseer in Green Bay. Participants are serious students of the Bible. Unlike some Christian faiths, they do not recognize the Trinity. Instead, Jehovah is the father, so named because that is the name given as God's personal name in the Bible. Jesus is his firstborn son. The Holy Spirit is not a person; it is God's active force. As in other Christian religions, Jesus is central to their future and their worship.

Stewardship of the land is a vital issue. Members are family-oriented and pro-education. Members do not pledge allegiance to any nation and therefore do not salute the flag. They also don't celebrate most holidays that other Christians observe. The Easter season is very important, but their emphasis is on Good Friday, the day Jesus died. This is because the traditions surrounding Christmas and Easter came into play later than the first century.

Locally, the international organization has close to 1,000 members in Green Bay and De Pere. They are divided into six congregations, one of which is a Spanish-speaking group, at three Kingdom Halls. Their signature ministry is a door-to-door campaign, where they offer free literature published by Watchtower Bible Society.

The publications are the Watchtower and Awake! Watchtower prints 27 million copies in 183 languages. Awake! prints 32 million copies in 81 languages.

Worldwide, Jehovah's Witnesses have 6.6 million members in 98,269 congregations. In the United States, there are about 1 million members in 12,261 congregations.

For information, see the organization's official Web site at www.watchtower.org.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Oh...bad memories...flashbacks.

Sincerely, I have never liked assemblies, even when I thought I was in the truth.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Ask your teacher if you're allowed to go out to lunch?

Ask your teacher if they are really gonna teach anything about Jesus and the aspostles, or are they gonna teach all the negative things extracted from the Bible by the Watchtower (they will never use scriptures in whole, they will only read parts that will convey their teachings)

Ask them if the demonstrations up there are staged, or are they real 100% with no exxageration to "upbuild faith"????

Ask her if the people there would still welcome you (befriend you), if you go a couple of times, and then stop going?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

So I was invited to an assembly by my JW teacher....

I think I will be pretty bored and feel out of place.

You will definitely be bored, but the love - bombing that you experience at the kingdom hall will be magnified at a district convention once they find out you are new. They will put a lot of effort into making you feel you belong there. You won't learn much worth learning, but you will make a lot of new "friends", especially if you go all 3 days. If you listen to the talks, and take them to heart, you will probably come back feeling a little guilty at not serving Jehovah already, and be assured your study conductor will not miss an opportunity to remind you of your responsibilities once you know the "truth".

Go if you must, I for one am glad I don't have to bother with events like that any more.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

It's not an assembly... it's a CONVENTION!

• serendipity
    serendipity

If you decide to go, go on Sunday. It's the shortest session and the tone is usually a bit more upbeat.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

You know...since we are on the subject of love-bombing. All this talking about it made me think about how I did it too, as a teen in the "truth". It was not ill-intended, I was just so happy to have an eventual "new friend" I could hang-out with. And to be abble to feel that young people actually came into the org on their own, perhaps to better convince myself that I was right to stay in. It was so rare to have a new ones... It was kind of encouraging in a sick way. Now that I am aware of the brainwashing I had been subjected to, I feel pity for those poor kids...and I'm always glad everytime I hear that one of them has figured his way out of it.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit