Is there anything about the JW's you still like?

by donny 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donny
    donny
    Some JW's on various postingshave asked me was there anything about the JW's I still agree with. Of course there are some things I agree with and some I partially do.

1. Political Involvement - while I do not agree with totally avoiding anything associated with politics, I agree that many of todays churches are way too involved in trying to sway their constituents beliefs. After I left the JW's and attended "trad...itional" churches, I grew tired of the ones who kept telling me that if I didn't vote Republican I would be voting against God which is ridiculous.

2. Including the congregation in the discussion. Too many of the traditional churches have a "one-way" style at their services. You go in, hear the sermon and get up and leave. Getting the members to read scriptures or comment is a good way to see if the folks are understanding their beliefs.

3. Keeping the congregations size at a small level. Too many of todays popular churches are way, way too big. When you start talking thousands and thousands for a congregation, it smacks more of it being a big business than something to attend to ones spiritual needs. One ends up being just a face in the crowd.

4. Presenting the "good" and "bad" of the scriptures (especially the Old Testament). JW's generally do not avoid the discussion of the verses in the Bible where extremely harsh measures are doled out to those who for one reason or another do not find delight in Gods eye. After I left the Witnesses I attended many other churches and when I quizzed them on some of these issues, I was surprised how many did not even know anything about them despite their attending the same church for most of their lives. One pastor, who had used the illustration of Lots wife turning around to look behind her as an example of the punishment used for those who do not listen to God, was confused when I asked what he thought about Lot offering his daughters to the mob or them having sex with him later on. He said "I recall now those incidents but I don't talk about them often because it just creates more issues for me."
  • cofty
    cofty
    I hope this is ironic.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Not a damn thing. Their are some good people in, there's a lot of bad people too. But it's the same outside. There are good and bad people. Religion is the only thing that makes "good" people do bad things.
  • millie210
    millie210

donny,

I guess mine would be a sub topic off of your 2nd point.

I like the fact that children can get up and read the Bible to the congregation..

I appreciate your attempt to discuss this. I am in the phase of leaving where I am seeing all the negative and nothing good but I know that isnt the best way for me to think. All of life exists in varying degrees of good and bad.

Thanks for the reminder.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Is there anything about the JW's you still like? - the 'clean lifestyle' aspect is vaguely appealing to me sometimes. This can be found among atheists, agnostics, members of other churches/religions, though.

Including the congregation in the discussion - I never saw much of this. Some things were put to a vote - congregation members never voted against, in my experience.

I agree with the OP - religions should be apolitical.

That's about it.

• undercover
    undercover
    Political Involvement - while I do not agree with totally avoiding anything associated with politics, I agree that many of todays churches are way too involved in trying to sway their constituents beliefs. After I left the JW's and attended "trad...itional" churches, I grew tired of the ones who kept telling me that if I didn't vote Republican I would be voting against God which is ridiculous.

There was a time when I felt similarly. But... having seen how the WTS uses legal means to prevent themselves from answering for their culpability in crimes committed by their elders and followers (see Barbara Anderson's links to the investigative reporting on the WTS and child abuse), I don't even give them credit for that anymore. It's one thing to preach being non-political, it's another to preach it, yet use the court system to prevent prosecution, or preserve their constitutional rights, while denying their members those same rights (freedom of religion).

The very least amount of credit you can give them is for refusing to fight in wars. And even that is debatable, depending on the enemy and the war that they're trying to avoid.

• Dagney
    Dagney

The closed community and high control, on the up side, did provide a ready made social structure, The tight community provided a bit of safety, not sure that is the right word, and comfort. It was really nice when traveling to meet up with or stay with those in the ready made community. Some of the best times in my life were meeting up and staying with other JW's around the world.

That being said, I know it wasn't good for millions of others. If you didn't "fit", it is miserable, painful. And it's really a cruel community, now that I'm out.

I will say, those exJW's I've had the pleasure of meeting up with bring that same sense of community along with freedom of thought and acceptance. That is the best ever.

• Village Idiot
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

The fact that I grew up turning to scriptures all over the bible is really useful now. Of course they tied scriptures together to prove something completely out of context...but having this skill helps in navigating around a bible. For that I am thankful.

And, I am thankful for the people I knew over the years. The charming elderly sisters, the humorous elders. The two girls I grew up with who also left. We get together now for our birthdays. There was a 'we're all in this together' aspect that drew people close together. Maybe that's what happens when you aren't allowed to associate with anyone else. But it's also kind of special. It's kind of family, with all the nastiness and jealousy that can often bring too.

• SoJo16
    SoJo16
    I do still tend to believe that when you die you are dead--no ticket to heaven, no hell, and no eternal soul. I do not believe in a resurrection. There's a popular tv show now about what happens when the dead walk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit