Does this make me an apostate™?

by under_believer 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

You did nothing wrong. You did a good thing. The WT is a cult, a 'clear & dangerous' threat to people.

I hate repeating how my Dub, now x -wife and I tried our 'best' to let one of our children die -- refusing a blood transfusion.

I hate repeating how my own Mother died -- being 'faithful'...refusing a blood transfusion.

I hate repeating how my own children reject and shun me -- being 'faithful'...

...to these rags of printed words from the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society and their leaders...a bunch of old blind men...leading their blind followers into family destruction -- and death !

THAT IS REALITY !

Throwing away these rags, IMO, is an honor, a privilege and a duty to our fellow humans. The other day I was driving at night on a county road, we could see people slowing down and peering at some debris in the road, then driving on. I stopped and removed the debris before it caused an accident in this dangerous spot. What I did was a simple, simple act, I hope someone benefitted from this little thing I did. Throwing away those rags is a similar act.

WT = A Clear & Present Danger.

Rabbit ( of the 'repeating till I die class' hoping to keep my experiences from repeating in someone else's life)

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I know Christians do this all the time and they don't feel guilty.

I give you 2 kudos!

Save the Children!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

To answer your question: Yes

To answer your guilt over it: No

The WTS distributes hate and death. Your small gesture was an aknowledgement of that fact. It was in every sense a 'good deed.'

While I'm waiting for my food, I go next door and throw out most of the Wt and Aw. The ones I leave, I put a sticker on them that says Example of Cult Propaganda. I then stick some flyers on the bulletin board about JW's with some website info.

Excellent, lisa!

• greendawn
    greendawn

You did the right thing but because you are in the early stages of leaving the cult you may feel guilty about such moves. This is a destructive cult and getting rid of the means of propaganda is a good and beneficial thing to do.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If you want to be sure you're an apostate, leave one of these in the doctor's office next time lololol...I designed it for doctor's office waiting rms...and it's entertaining too....

Brochure: Bizarre Medical Myths--Believe it or not! Examines JW suspicion and disdain for medical treatment and physicians over history. Details little-known strange JW teachings about medicine and science. The source of the myths is not mentioned until the end of the brochure. Appealing to the casual reader who has an interest in trivia. Contains illustrations and a long list of WT literature citations. 4-page foldable color brochure suitable for printing on 2 sides of 8.5" x 11" paper.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Excellent, lisa!

Well..thank you...just working my assigned territory.....

lisa

• White Waves
    White Waves

Lisa - I'll have to print some of stickers like that - great idea. www.silentlambs.com has some free brochures that can be printed (tri-fold) and put in place of JW literature. I have a difficult time with this site but when I find these, I plan to print a few for special spots in my neck-of-the-woods.

WW

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hey Rebel, how can I get a jpeg copy of that? I want to print out some and leave them in strategic places in town...

carmel

• merfi
    merfi

right-click... save target as...

:) GMTA

~merfi

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

After reading your post again, I am uncertain whether you meant to describe a situation where you found the magazines in the doorway or merely left by themselves somewhere in the enclosed entryway. If they were the only magazines present, then I would have less of an objection to your removing them - but there would still be an argument why you should not have taken them even in that situation.

If however, what occurred (or if the situation was this way in another setting) was that the mags were there, along with other magazines, for people to browse or read while they are waiting or even to take and read (like a newstand with free circulars or Penny Savers) then I disagree with the comments that have stated that it is ok and reiterate that I don't believe it is appropriate to just take them and dispose of them.

In situations were someone has left publications/penny savers/free newspapers/advertising etc. it is not appropriate for a person to simply take them and dispose of them, unless they are the "owner" or are in charge of controlling that space.

Simply because they are free for you to take does not justify taking them and disposing of them because there is an implied purpose that one who takes the free item will at least use it or in this case read the material. (Incidently what is left is really immaterial. It could be literature to browse ro take or it could be free jelly beans.)

In taking the magazine with no intention of reading it yourself you deprive someone who might enjoy reading the material, usurp the right of the person who controls the space (who incidently might approve of the leaving of the WT magazines), and of course set aside the good intention of the Witness who left them. (This is like grabbing a hand ful of the jelly beans with intention beforehand to just throw them away.)

If the situation is that there is a bunch of literature there for persons to browse or take to read then again the appropriate response is that you should either leave your own literature to counter the speech that you find offensive or in lieu of that (and if you feel strongly about it) speak to the person in charge of controlling the space and inquire about whether they are aware that the WT literature has been left, (perhaps mention why you feel that their patrons would not benefit from such material) and ask if it ok if you remove them and dispose of them. (Someone mentioned the hypo of Nambla or pro-terrorist literature - and again I believe that the appropriate response is to inform the person in charge of controlling the space.)

Of course, if you accept a piece of literature or take something that is free, with the intention of seeing what it is (or sampling it), you are not under any obligation to retain it and may throw it away immediately if you so desire.

But in this case you knew what it was before hand, and decided before hand to remove the material so as to prevent anyone else from reading it, and in so doing you substituted your own feelings and judgment for someone else's and that was wrong of you to do.

(In a way it is no better than what the Society/JWs do themselves when they discourage the reading of anti-JW information by the faithful and wrong for the same reason.)

The act doesn't make you an "apostate" by the way - just a really bad person. (just kidding!) If it makes you feel any better you are welcome to by one of my "Apostate and Proud" t-shirts http://www.cafepress.com/oroborus21jwnet/1373652

-Eduardo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit