Hello

by EyesOpened 40 Replies latest jw friends

• EyesOpened
    EyesOpened

Ok... here goes:

My parents became JW's in 1972 - I was 6 yrs old. I followed their lead, baptized at 15, regular pioneer at 19, MS at 21, Elder at 27. Have given District and Circuit talks, TMS overseer yada, yada, yada...

Last September I stopped and haven't looked back. I've looked at websites such as this over the past few months and frankly, I am having a hard time dealing with everything I have been taught to believe my whole life and now thinking it was all a lie.

So many things point to JW's as being a cult, yet cannot grasp that my parents, who are extremely intelligent and loving people, could have become part of such an organization.

I am considered DA'd - but I refuse to write a letter that acknowleges any submission to the Elder's supposed authority.

So many questions - and I have just barely scratched the surface regarding the "cover ups" the "scandals" and the doctrinal issues. My hope is that you will at the very least assist me in "opening my eyes"...

I feel betrayed for 34 years, feel abandoned by all of my so called friends - who have yet to call or talk to me to ask me why I do not go to meetings anymore... The Elders keep leaving me messages asking me why I am doing this and why don't I just write a letter of DA and "let it happen" so I don't continue to hurt the friends' feelings... the feelings I have for JW's are of disgust and hurt right now - they have ruined my parents family - my 2 sisters are DF'd and I have just recently started talking to them again - why did I submit to the "shunning" for all those years? My parents are so sad - why? because they miss their children - but have to stay "loyal" to Jehovah's organization... what nonsense.

That's all I can bear to type at this time... very awkward about this and have mixed emotions...

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

You are so welcomed here .Let your eyes be opened and let your heart begin to heal

• free2beme
    free2beme

I left when I was 26, was raised in it too, but did not get baptized until I was 21. I DA'ed too, in that I walked away, never formally wrote a letter. I was angry at first and then over the last decade I have come to open my mind to reading places like this and realizing there is a whole other world out there we were censored from. As I branch out I took on new hobbies, knowledge and friends. In time, some did not fit and others fit better then I thought they would. So basically, what I am saying, is your in a room with a lot of people who feel the same and come from a common background. So make yourself at home and let your new life grow.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hi and welcome eyesopened

so many here are experiencing the same things! hang in there

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi eyesopened,

welcome to the board. Many of us have felt the same way as you do right now when we left. It took me over a year to break down the WT teachings and build up my faith I have today. It is hard in the beginning to decide what to believe and many are not even ready to think about religion until they are fully decompressed from all the meetings, etc. that comes with being a witness.

It just takes time that is all. I think you will like this board. There is a great mixture of information and it is an excellent resource for information.

I feel for you, I have been there. I brought my family in about 14 years ago, stayed for 12 and then helped lead them out.

I'll be saying prayers for you that no matter which direction you go in, you will have peace. Welcome again, glad to have you here, Lilly

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hello EyesOpened, and welcome to the forum, I am so glad that you found us,

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It is going to take time.... I suggest reading Ray Franz books . I was quite surprized to find he was not a hateful evil slave but rather a humble man with a genuine good conscience.His inside veiw really helped me understand who easily we were duped into believing what was handed us. His books can be ordered online through " Commentary Press". I know you will find some very good information here too , check out posts under" Best of".

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Dear EyesOpened,

Welcome. A lot of us here are third, fourth and even fifth generation JW's. I myself am a fourth generation JW and have only left recently, 8 months ago. I wish I could tell you all of the answers but unfortunately I am still trying to figure things out. Just know that now that you are out you will finally begin to heal. Cults have a way a brainwashing you and making the break away very difficult. I am sorry for your confussion and hurt and wish you the best on your new journey.

Loruhamah

• Gopher
    Gopher

EO,

Welcome to the board. You're in good company here.

I was a 3rd-generation JW, as was my sister. We are shunned by our parents who honestly believe they are being loving by doing so. When I was DF'd, my sister who had left the JW's previously was there to welcome me. I'm glad you're getting back with your sisters. Shunning thing feels so wrong doesn't it - no matter which side you are on. (JW's who do it have to remind themselves how righteous it is to shun. That's cognitive dissonence at its finest.)

So the elders are telling you that you have to DA yourself to preserve the feelings of their congregation? Oh please, give me a break. Once you been away awhile longer, they'll go on to gossiping about someone else.

Have you found this site about JW doctrines and practices? It's very good. www.freeminds.org

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Welcome and do what's in YOUR best interest! It's your life, not the JW Organization's life...you must claim it and be glad you OPENED YOUR EYES AND REALIZED HOW RIDICULOUS MUCH OF WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH WAS, (nonsense) as you refered to it. Slowly but surely you will heal and things will get better in your mind. The most difficult part has already past...realizing the "lies" within the TROOF!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit