Studying with JWs

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Shazard
    Shazard

And test this... are you studing Bible (reading through gospels, new testament) or you are "talking about topics" in different WT magazines and use Bible as Reference book, to "proove" that what JW says is true.
    If it is second case, then you are not studing Bible but Literature, do not let yourself to be decieved. And even when they show you some scripture READ whole context - better whole chapter if that is what Bible is talking about. Coz there are even words in Bible "There is no God". Check WHOLE context. And better way to study Bible is actually READ it through. Start with gospel of John. Coz John itself says that his gospel alone is sufficient to get faith and ethernal life (John 20:31). So it is the best start of Bible. Or Gospel of Luke. Both these gospels should be on the top of your study. But check if you actually study Bible, or you study WT doctrine!

• freetosee
    freetosee

That’s a good point Shazard.

As a JW I believed we were bible students, and true we learned a lot about the bible –being trained to quote key-scriptures to prove the WT doctrine. As I started questioning the teaching program I realized that the ‘question-and-answer-coverage’ of WT publications was not a study of the scriptures. It is not even a discussion of the scriptures because the ‘right answer’ is only the one that summarises the WT pre prepared interpretation.

Researching the origin, the early publications and prophesies of JW is a valuable study I which I had done before getting baptized.

Reading the bible itself and asking questions is the best to do, since the bible itself encourages it.

Freetosee

• jambon1
    jambon1

You may get baptised but believe me, you will question it all in a few years.

Then you will feel like you are in a prison.

Or

You can honestly examine what is posted here and save yourself the heartache. This is coming from someone who a few years ago would have never contemplated leaving the truth. Im glad I did leave now.

Either way, you will always be welcome here.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, which WT publication are you studying? I do a review of the WT study article for each Sunday...could do the same for you and what you are studying each week.

Blondie

• whyizit
    whyizit

Welcome to the forum!

I am not a JW, but I did study with them for awhile. Did you get answers to your questions? What questions did you ask? I would sure love to compare notes with you!

I never really recieved answers. Mostly they would change the subject on me and ignore my questions. I could give you exaples, if you would like. Perhaps you could get better answers and fill me in.

Here is one that I had some trouble with, but no one ever helped me. They told me that in Rev., the great crowd who will never be going to heaven. I asked if they could show me a Scripture that shows that heaven is LIMITED to 144,000, and no one else. I also asked where Rev. 19, verse 1, specifically says that the great crowd is. Never got any answers.

Maybe you could explain it to me? PM me, if you know the answers.

Thanks!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You will find that most of us on here are ex-jws, and staying that way. However, if you are really into the wts religion, I wish you well, but be careful.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Run my child.Run as fast as you can.You will hate it.You will give up everything.No freedom.No free will.IT IS A CULT.Please listen.Please read these posts.Please run.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi IFTNP and welcome to the forum!

• KW13
    KW13

i feel kinda guilty that i didn't say the same, instead of giving you half ass warnings.

You only get burned if you put your hand in the fire. Seriously, we can give you the reasons but to be able to live your life happily free from problems (i had my fair share, infact i am your age and i have LEFT) leave it. Mormons, JW's...they are telling you these things that sound wonderful but they ain't painting the whole picture. They wont be aware of that though.

For example, you can't talk to ex-members. Its said to be a protection but in reality its because they've seen through the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit