Studying with JWs

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 18 Replies latest jw friends

• I-follow-the-narrow-path
    I-follow-the-narrow-path

I have just started studying with JWs, (on a regular basis) about a month ago, and I really enjoy it.

- I am wondering what will happen in the next couple of months, knowing I will continue going to the Kingdom Hall and studying.

Will I go door to door sometime? Will I get baptized in two years or less? (that is about the time they do it I believe)

-- I also noticed, even in a short time... that I stopped asking as many questions... and started reading and learning.

:) it is still good to ask questions... the bible says so. Keep asking and you shall get.

Anyway... just wanted to know what will happen.

Also, I have found out that another girl (at my school) is a month into her study with JWs too.. I think it would be good to find her.

Thanks so much

Elizabeth

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Elizabeth, welcome!
    You've found the perfect site for someone interested in learning about JWs.

I would strongy recommend that you read some of the posts here about the Witnesses, and the expereinces of many of us who have left. I was a Witness for over 30 years and served as an elder for about half that time. Also Pioneered for many years.
    I left the Witnesses in the mid-1990s because I could no longer believe so many things that they taught.
    It would be good for you to really examine this religion with a very open mind.
    For instance, do you plan on going to college and having a career? The Witnesses strongly discourage their young ones from attending a four year college. Most Witnesses, when they get an education, will leave the religion because they realize that the "science" and other things taught by the Witnesses is simply not so.
    Stick around and ask some questions here. You'll get a lot of great feedback.
    S4

• Dune
    Dune

It always amazes me how people stumble onto this site thinking its a pro-witness site. but theres a part of me that thinks the person might be a troll.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

it's the name. they assume without reading some of the posts. and then are greatly surprised.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Keep asking questions. Don't stop asking questions. If you are discouraged from asking questions remind yourself repeatedly that you are supposed to ask questions and press on.

I promise you, if you keep asking questions you won't get baptized. If you get to the point of baptism, consider the two questions they ask just before they baptize you:

*** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ’s example. The first question is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
    The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?
    Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

Compare this to the baptism of the Ethiopian eunuch, or the directions at Matthew 28:19, 20, or the baptism described here:

Acts 2:37-42 — Now when they heard this they were stabbed to the heart, and they said to Peter and the rest of the apostles: “Men, brothers, what shall we do?” 38 Peter [said] to them: “Repent, and let each one of YOU be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of YOUR sins, and YOU will receive the free gift of the holy spirit. 39 For the promise is to YOU and to YOUR children and to all those afar off, just as many as Jehovah our God may call to him.” 40 And with many other words he bore thorough witness and kept exhorting them, saying: “Get saved from this crooked generation.” 41 Therefore those who embraced his word heartily were baptized, and on that day about three thousand souls were added. 42 And they continued devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to sharing [with one another], to taking of meals and to prayers.

...or the baptism of Cornelius, his family, and his household (a Gentile, not formerly a Jewish proselyte):

Acts 10:34-48 — At this Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him. 36 He sent out the word to the sons of Israel to declare to them the good news of peace through Jesus Christ: this One is Lord of all [others]. 37 YOU know the subject that was talked about throughout the whole of Ju·de´a, starting from Gal´i·lee after the baptism that John preached, 38 namely, Jesus who was from Naz´a·reth, how God anointed him with holy spirit and power, and he went through the land doing good and healing all those oppressed by the Devil; because God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses of all the things he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem; but they also did away with him by hanging him on a stake. 40 God raised this One up on the third day and granted him to become manifest, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses appointed beforehand by God, to us, who ate and drank with him after his rising from the dead. 42 Also, he ordered us to preach to the people and to give a thorough witness that this is the One decreed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness, that everyone putting faith in him gets forgiveness of sins through his name.”
    44 While Peter was yet speaking about these matters the holy spirit fell upon all those hearing the word. 45 And the faithful ones that had come with Peter who were of those circumcised were amazed, because the free gift of the holy spirit was being poured out also upon people of the nations. 46 For they heard them speaking with tongues and magnifying God. Then Peter responded: 47 “Can anyone forbid water so that these might not be baptized who have received the holy spirit even as we have?” 48 With that he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they requested him to remain for some days.

And contemplate on this: (1) Where in the Watchtower's questions are candidates baptized in Jesus name? (2) Why do you need to study for 1 to 2 years and answer a lot of questions from a book, when Cornelius was converted, baptized with holy spirit, and then baptized with water after one brief conversation?

And then know in your heart that if you must be indoctrinated there is something wrong with the teaching. Question. Thoroughly and without letup. You will see the discomfort when you ask about things they don't want to talk about. Ask an elder whether Jesus is the mediator for all mankind or only the 144,000, according to their doctrine. Ask an elder whether anyone besides faithful Jehovah's Witnesses who live to Armageddon can expect salvation. Pay attention to whether he turns "expectation" into "possibility" and ask further questions if he does.

Do not stop testing their doctrine against God's word. Study for yourself whether their teaching is Scriptural. They love to find people who know almost nothing of the Bible. They blame the Churches for the ignorance of the people, but the Churches aren't Scripturally instructed to indoctrinate anyone, only to make it available to those who actively seek to know. You have to study it for yourself to find out if they teach truth.

Welcome! If you need help on things to ask, we have plenty of questions we have never gotten answers for.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Yes, I agree...the name of this forum/site is a bit misleading...it should be X-Jehovahs-Witnesses.com or something. Oh well...I guess those that do come in with the wrong idea eventually find out it's not what they thought it was.

Personally, I think it's actually a good source of information for those that are studying with the JWs. I've learned so much about them here which is the reason I joined....to learn! Everyone here has been great...thanks!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Welcome, It may suprise you but for the most part none of are witnesses , mostly exjws. You will find some very interesting stories about peoples lives within the Organization.

Tread slowly, as you want to make sure you are doing the right thing. Don't let anyone bully you into believing something you don't want to as the witnesses are very good at doing that. Fully understand everything your getting into. Ask questions lots of questions.

Orangefatcat

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

IFTNP- Welcome to the forum.

As seeker4 mentioned - this is the perfect time for you to look at the matter with an open mind. I spent 43 years as a witness. I had to leave due to concern about ethics and morals at the top of the organization, as well as doctrinal matters that I discovered were not in harmony with true Christianity. All those decades I was unaware and discouraged from finding out.

I know a fellow who was once a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. He wrote two books that profoundly impacted my Christianity and kicked my conscience into effect.

I recommend his first one entitled; Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. It is available on most book sites online. Or from his own site;

www.Commentarypress.com

Later should you become a Witness, you will be forbidden to read any books that are not 'endorsed' by the society. Read all you can now from all sides.

May God bless you

Jeff

• KW13
    KW13

let me tell you from personal experience, DO NOT SAY YES to anything without first checking and checking again.

you'll probably be suprised by the responses if you insist on not diving in.

welcome btw

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

I_follow_the_narrow_path

It really is a good idea that you look more deeply into the WTS. I was baptised in 1989 and really believed it was 'The Truth' But these last few years and especially the last few months since August / September 2005 I have learnt a lot about the WTS that at first shocked me.

The strange thing is when we are studying we are told to question what we believe...but when we question our believes when we are baptised JW's that seems wrong?

Please don't learn the hard way. By all means come to this forum and ask questions but think twice before making any commitment to thw WTBTS. I remember once asking an elder if

The Flood really did happen? I ask has there is no geological proof that such a thing did happen. And also isn't it possible it was just a Jewish version of an older Persian story of a great flood?
    I was shot down in flames for asking such a question being told I lacked faith and was spiritually sick. Blimey! I was glad I did not ask a question about the WTS. I am sure his very look would have killed me dead on the spot there and then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit