Southern Food

by doodle-v 23 Replies latest jw friends

• doodle-v
    doodle-v
    Since I live in the South good southern cooking is just a kitchen away!

Lucky!!

Hard to find good southern cooking around here

-Doodle-V

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hi Juni. These recipes look very tasty:

• juni
    juni

Thanks Robdar. I'll "peruse" them later.

Juni

• juni
    juni

Would you say that they are better FRIED or BAKED like some of the casserole dishes? I know it's subjective, but what is your opinion?

Juni

• Severus
    Severus

Okay, I just had a heart attack...

• Robdar
    Robdar

Would you say that they are better FRIED or BAKED like some of the casserole dishes? I know it's subjective, but what is your opinion?

Juni I like both. I really do. The texture and tastes are different from each other. I also like them boiled with milk and sugar. Grits are very versatile. Okay, I just had a heart attack... But did you have a good time getting there?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm a purist when it comes to grits - boiled in water (1/4 cup grits to one cup water), cooked until slightly firm, and seasoned with salt and served with butter (or whatever spread you like. I like to eat them with scrambled eggs, sausage, and homemade biscruits with butter and jelly.

Good Eats!!

Josie

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

My Aunt, bless her heart....made the best cornbread dressing with chicken...and for the life of me I can't make my good old home recipe taste like hers.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Okay, I just had a heart attack...

Dozens of my folks have made in well into their 80's on a steady diet like we are discussing here.... Of course, hard work may have helped, you cant eat a good Southern diet and thrive without a way to burn it off....

Supper yet?

~Hill

• juni
    juni

CORNBREAD DRESSING??

I thought we were talking about grits?? Only kidding.

Josie - I just don't think I could eat it like that. I like oatmeal, but have to sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it.

Severus - You only live once; you could get hit by a car tomorrow (god forbid) and there you go - never indulging and missing out on all of that fat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit