A new "saying" that is driving me crazy! "MY BAD." I don't get it!

by whyizit 17 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

I've heard this on a couple of different TV shows and thought at first that it was a slip of the lips. But as much as I've been hearing it, it must be a new "cool-thing-to-say". But WHY??? Does anyone know who, how, when, or why this has become a popular thing to say?

If you do something or say something by mistake, "My bad." ("I'M bad.", makes sense. "MY bad.", does not.)

I guess this would be considered a "fluff" post. I'm just curious about the origin of this new misuse of the language. It sounds so stupid, I find it hard to believe that anyone would intentionally say it. Especially adults! This doesn't appear to be a teeny-bopper quip. It's adults saying it all the time!

It's driving me crazy! (Short trip! I know!)

• Severus
    Severus

Let me guess, you are pasty white...

"My bad" Root language: Ebonics, direct translation: "Mea Culpa"

• minimus
    minimus

This isn't new!...If you want to see new expressions, check out urbandictionary.com.

• daystar
    daystar

"My bad"!? You're kidding me, right?

This has been around for at least ten years. It stopped being a cool thing to say some time ago.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Ooooh, severus, always knowledgeable!lol Well, thanks, I didn't realised it came from Mea Culpa.lol

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

"get er done" is going around her now!

• LDH
    LDH
    at least

LOL.

Lisa

"What it is" Class

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    "My bad," an exclamation meaning "my fault" or "my mistake," evidently arose in the mid-1980's among players (primarily Black) in informal "pick-up" basketball games. One player would throw a bad pass or flub an easy shot and say "My bad" as a sort of handy shorthand for a more elaborate apology. The term's transition to more general slang use was apparently greatly accelerated by its inclusion in the enormously popular film "Clueless" a few years ago.

http://www.word-detective.com/121597.html

• White Waves
    White Waves

What about the saying "You are so phat!" meaning you are so cool? WHAT?? Where did that come from? At first, I thought it was an insult!!

• blondie
    blondie

I can see it coming out of the mouths of people from that generation, but from someone in their 60's, are they trying to prove they are "hip" and young and "with it"?

Remember "groovy," no, see my point. In time, these things fade away.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit