A new "saying" that is driving me crazy! "MY BAD." I don't get it!

by whyizit 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I remember in the late 60's when "hot" was cool, and "cool" was definitely not hot. In the early 90's, "cool" was hot, and then became cool (in the "what the heck was I thinkin" type of sense) and "hot" became really cool. At one time, if you were hot, you had a fever; if you were cool, you were just really not interested in much of anything. Then cool became frigid, and hot became "totally hot" and everything was just X:

Xtreme dating

Xtrme sports.

Back in the 70's an "X" was an X. You were marked by Society as a divorcee. In the 1890's, "X" marked the spot where treasure could be found on a treasure map, and where someone who couldn't spell signed their name on a legal contract.

Now with an "X" in front of whatever hobby you partake in, you are an agile, "hot", whatever'er, and you are SO COOL! That's hot...

<shrug>

I give up.

"My bad" sounds just as fitting as anything..

CG

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Don't forget what John 17:3 says!!!
    Wait, My Bad! I thought I was at the book study.

• whyizit
    whyizit

I guess I entered a time warp and missed that one. I live out in the country, so that might explain some of it.....

Should I be depressed????

I'm no longer "young" and worse yet.......I'm not "cool" anymore!

No longer "tan" either. Pasty white. Yep, that's me.

At least I'm still thin and hot! (At least I used to be......)

Well, I'm still breathing. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Daystar..................

"My bad"!? You're kidding me, right?

This has been around for at least ten years.

I say bull shite to your statement. (nothing personal to you though)

Myself..........I never heard this being said until I came to JWD two years ago.

Even though I am close to being a senior citizen ( oh ......wait! I'm over 55 ..........so I guess I can get those resteraunt discounts now )...........I never heard this in western Pennsylvania even among the young 'uns.

Guess we are a little behind in this area.

HappyDad (of the getting too old.......too quick class) My bad.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I had not heard that phrase until I moved to California 5 years ago. Drives my husband batty.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    I say bull shite to your statement. (nothing personal to you though)

Myself..........I never heard this being said until I came to JWD two years ago.

You call his statement bull shite just because you never heard it?

Mrsjones hit the nail on the head. It's been around for well over a decade but didn't become mainstream until the mid nineties with the movie Clueless. I actually thought people were saying "my bag" before that.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It is quite typical for new slang words or expressions to lag behind in the popular media, especially in TV and film. Writers try to be hip and in touch with the latest "cool" language, but there is still a substantial gap between the time an item is innovated and first spreads and the time when it spreads massively through the culture through use in movies, song, etc. In fact, this is similar to language change in general, which follows an S-curve pattern of increase in frequency. Then, when its use has either been appropriated by the media or overused as the case may be, it loses its novelty or "coolness", and drops from use. For instance, it has recently been documented that the expression BE ALL-quotative (e.g. "She was all no way, and I was all yes I want to do it"), which spead like wildfire in the '90s as a replacement of BE LIKE-quotative (tho often expressing a different shade of meaning), has dropped precipitously in use since 2000.

• West70
    West70

As the person who will read this thread who played MORE basketball in the 1970s and 1980s than any other person here, I can tell you that I recall "MY BAD" going back to the late 1970s, when I played in College.

I'm guessing that "MY BAD" was probably picked up from the Pros, since most B-ball slang came from our Pro heros (at least back then).

And, yes, white men CAN dunk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit