607, 70 years, 1914

by crazies 129 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Augustin

Most scholars are blinded by higher criticism which prevents them from any coherent understanding of the seventy years conversely celebrated WT scholars led by Holy Spirit have such matters revealed to them. For every scholar who agrees with Jonsson on a matter I could cite many others who would disagree. Scholars may not endorese 607 but they do not endorse any other date either. Confusion is the status of current scholarship as shown by Applegate's paper.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Therefore you will never learn and ever remain ignorant.

One thing that I do know is that if you ever did have any actual evidence that supported 607, you would be in here in a flash, shouting it from the rooftops. But you don't have any at all, because such evidence is just a self-admitted Society pipedream.

By far the majority (99%) of scholars, using various sources of information, all independently agree on Jerusalem's fall occurring around 587, yet you cling to 607 with no evidence whatsoever. And you have the gall to call me ignorant!

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

"Celebrated WT Scholars"?!?!?! Celebrated by whom? I thought those chosen to be Jehovah's Witlesses were only commanded to celebrate the memorial.... oh wait.. they are just observers. Hands in pockets, chewing gum... yelling at children if they actually attempt to take a sip... Also, why are we wasting our time trying to disprove an artful dodger? Were he an actual Witless he wouldn't be on this site. Is he SO innocent as to not know that encouraging debate with us evyil serpyents might cause a future witless one who might be honestly looking online for the Watchtower.org, or conversely JWmedia, to be stumbled? In this sense is he not working against the holy spirit? Is this sin not unforgivable? Let the poor fella sit and masturbate in front of his computer screen whilst dirty talking the picture of Jezebel in MY BOOK OF BIBLE STORIES as she gets tossed out the window. Too many posts to placate the ego of a lonely, scared, sad person.

But then again, 607 might be the date that makes sense of the entire world and GOD and human consciousness. Kinda sounds like numerology to me. Freaky.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

According to the prevailing Watchtower wisdom (cough) when I was a JW, "celebrating" was tantamount to "worship". So I think it is clear why Neil uses the term "celebrated" when referring to his little Watchtower gods.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    There is no need to inform the Writing Committee of an error as none exists for what was stated in the Isaiah book is totally correct. The only error is on your part in your lack of comprehension.

No, you are quite wrong. I have very good reading comprehension, though only average reading comprehension is required to understand what is stated in the Isaiah book: that the 70 years for Tyre ended in 539, and that those 70 years were those referred to in Jeremiah 25:12. In fact, from what is stated in that publication, there is no other way to interpret it. The paragraph in question states:

*** ip-1 chap. 19 pp. 253-254 Jehovah Profanes the Pride of Tyre ***"These nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years." (Jeremiah 25:8-17, 22, 27) True, the island-city of Tyre is not subject to Babylon for a full 70 years, since the Babylonian Empire falls in 539 B.C.E. Evidently, the 70 years represents the period of Babylonia’s greatest domination—when the Babylonian royal dynasty boasts of having lifted its throne even above "the stars of God." (Isaiah 14:13) Different nations come under that domination at different times. But at the end of 70 years, that domination will crumble. What will then happen to Tyre?

Obviously "the period of Babylonia's greatest domination" could not at all extend beyond 539. To clinch exactly when that the publication is suggesting the 70 years for Tyre ended (which it has already equated with the 70 years of Jeremiah 25:12), the book continues:

"Following the fall of Babylon in 539 B.C.E, Phoenicia becomes a satrapy of the Medo-Persian Empire. The Persian monarch, Cyrus the Great, is a tolerant ruler. Under this new rulership, Tyre will resume her former activity and try hard to regain recognition as a world commercial center"

There is absolutely no reference to the 70 years ending in 537, and no suggestion that there was a two year break before Tyre was no longer dominated.

But there'll probably be a reprint of the book with the text changed once they realise they've contradicted themselves, just like they've done with other publications.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Most scholars are blinded by higher criticism which prevents them from any coherent understanding of the seventy years conversely celebrated WT scholars led by Holy Spirit have such matters revealed to them.

They're not "led by Holy Spirit". They read something, have a chat, and take a vote.

For every scholar who agrees with Jonsson on a matter I could cite many others who would disagree. Scholars may not endorese 607 but they do not endorse any other date either. Confusion is the status of current scholarship as shown by Applegate's paper.

You state that scholars don't agree with 607 or any other particular date, but the fact you choose to omit is that the consensus is indeed for within a year of 587.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Response to post 914

I am shouting from the rooftops that there is abundant secular and biblical evidence in support of 607 which is grounded upon the seventy years of Jeremiah. The majority of scholars are slaves along with apostates to higher criticism and it is laughable that they cannot understand the seventy years for it is a stumbling block to them.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Response to post 915

So, if the seventy years for Tyre in 539 BCE then when did they begin for Tyre? Such a question and your answer will determine your comprehension of the Isaiah commentary. What you fail to realize that ther is difference between Jeremiah's seventy years for Judah and Isaiah's seventy years for Tyre. It is certainly the case that according to Jeremiah's prophecy in 25:12 that foreign nations would also be subject to Babylon during the seventy year period of Judean servitude which ran from 607 until 537 BCE. The period of Babylon's greatest domination involve not Tyre and the other foreign nations but Judah and lasted during that period of servitude, exile and desolation from 607 until 537 - a full historic period of seventy years.

In connection with Tyre we have no explicit chronology for her seventy years and its exact period is unknown so with a new ruler at Babylon, Tyre could once again resume her former glory. There is no reference to 537 in conncetion with Tyre because there is simply no link or relevance. It is only with Judah as an exilic people that a Return becomes significant.

Only apostates dream of reprints but perhaps they sholuld start dreaming a new and revised accurate, biblical chronology.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Response to post 916

No, they pray and study God's Word. Do you do that?

No, the consensus is with 586 rather than 587.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    No, they pray and study God's Word. Do you do that?

And then they chat and vote. Cut your high and mighty attitude. Heaps of people pray and study, but the difference is that they don't go and dictate lies to their members, and deny them even the right to verify what they've been taught under penalty of disfellowshipping.

No, the consensus is with 586 rather than 587.

It's handy that you delete the context of your replies isn't it? Because you hide the fact that I actually said that consensus among the multitude of scholars is "within a year of 587", which includes 586.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit