Are people on earth "pawns"in Jehovah and Satan's chess game?

by booker-t 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booker-t
    booker-t

One of my best friends in the world Pam who is a Non-judgmental Born-Again Christians told me that she thinks that we are only "pawns" in a chess game played by Jehovah and Satan. At first I thought Pam was joking with me but she told me she was serious as a heart attack. She then started to explain her position. She brought up the case of Job. Now why would Jehovah allow Satan to torture Job, kill his ten kids, cause him to lose everything to prove what? If Jehovah God sees the future then this would have been just a game to him since he knew what the outcome would be. Was he and Satan just up there in heaven laughing at poor Job? Another example Pam brought up was Adam and Eve. If Jehovah God knew for all eternity that Adam and Eve would disobey him then creating them to fall to the Devil was almost as if Jehovah God allowed Satan to receive some kind of worship. So was Jehovah God sharing his Almightiness with Satan by creating Adam and Eve? Pam brought up another point when Jehovah got mad at Pharaoh and hardened his heart did Jehovah give Pharaoh over to Satan as a "pawn" no longer wanting to deal with him? Pam also used the analogy about A loving parent alowing a Child Molester to do anything that the molester wanted to the child but just don't kill the child. Jehovah told Satan to do "anything" he wanted to do with Job but don't kill him. I am beginning to wonder if my friend Pam is right and we are just pawns in a chess game played by Jehovah and Satan and we are being laughed at from heaven by the two.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I am beginning to wonder if my friend Pam is right and we are just pawns in a chess game played by Jehovah and Satan and we are being laughed at from heaven by the two.

Even as a believer as I once was, I have to say I had difficulties with the concept of a god permitting such attrocities just to prove a point (which is what the bible would teach us happened in Jobs account).

Thought provoking stuff.

Db74

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

If we are pawns in a chess game by Jehovah and Satan...then there ain't a damn thing we humans can do about it. ...I have the same thoughts as your friend.....I ask a pioneer sister about that long ago and she just used the same old same old. "God wants to prove to Satan he will have subjects to worship him in the end." Well, That still says we are pawns doesn't it?

We need to read the new scrolls wherever they are, because the old scrolls are confusing as hell!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

We are not pawns because we have free will to choose whether we want to do what is right or wrong. Even for those who believe in Satan, you cannot blame him for everything that is wrong in the world. I do believe we are part of a bigger picture but how much Satan is allowed to test people to see if they side with God, well, I just don't know about that. I do believe in a God bringing all things back to his original purpose but I can only speculate on all the datails of why, who and what.

• Dune
    Dune

Personally, i agree with pam.

I honestly believe that god looks down at us everyday and doesnt feel an ounce of pity (Thats if there is one).

The whole issue of god's "sovereignty" never really hit me as a valid answer to why god permits suffering. As far as i'm concerned, god could have killed off every being in the universe and started over if he felt that some obscure human would think Satan was right.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Read Rabbi Harold Kushner book "Why Bad Things Happen To Good People" he addresses such concepts, and I think presents God in much nicer light.

• lowden
    lowden

Hi Booker-t

Good points. For me the Job story is just sick,sick,sick!! If someone came up to me and said, 'Your son only loves you because of the money and clothes and food you buy for him', i'd tell them to piss off and mind their own business. Why? Because i KNOW that's not true. God had absolutely NOTHING, NADA to prove to satan, he should have KNOWN that wasn't true, end of. Then god lets satan go and do all THAT to Job. Yes Booker-t, if you believe in Jehovah then we are 'pawns', no doubt about it. For me it's sick.

Peace

Lowden

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do tell, booker-t.

People that stress their opinions often come up with some pretty far-fetched ideas. Ask her to scripturally prove her point using the entire bible and not some scriptures that are pulled out of a magic hat.

That's about like the WACKTOWER's proclamation that there has always been at least one individual on earth who was loyal to Jehovah. When I ask them to scripturally prove it, they

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i asked my dad the same question when i was about 9 or 10.

its not a hard concept to grasp if a kid can do it.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

BTW - that example about the child molester was disgusting. I think your friend has brain warp.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit