Ongoing Saga; Privacy Commission, WTS and my attempt to get personal files

by jwfacts 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I posted a while ago that I had asked the Aust Bethel for my personal records under the Privacy Act 1988. Bethel refused. I then lodged a complaint with the Privacy Commission. Bethel signed a Stat Dec that they are not covered by the Privacy Act, and so the case was closed.

I went back to the Privacy Commission with the Annual report to show that the WTS in Australia is covered as they have over $3 million turnover, and so they re-opened the case.

The Bethel legal department has responded by trying to say their income should not be considered because the $17 million is in UNSOLICITED gifts, and not for services rendered by the Society, and so not core operations. They have then attempted to list Financial Records Standards in showing that there is a distinction between operating and non operating income.

Anyway, in short, they are attempting to get out of handing over my records on a technicality. I feel that their argument is irrelevant as the Aust Privacy Act does not make such a distinction of what constitutes income.

The outcome is still undecided. I can imagine that even if the Commissioner rules that Bethel have to hand over my records the WTS will refuse to. They will probably do everything in their power to keep their cultlike activities secretive, and force the issue to the courts.

They are acting a lot like Scientologists.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

your post was very interesting because I always wondered about the records kept on me and my kids in particular. They were unbaptized publishers when we left. I will be interested in knowing how your case turns out and if they rule in your favor, can you copy the decision somehow and post on this site. Because I will use it when writing to ask for my records. Anyway, good luck.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thanks for the update!

• Jourles
    Jourles

More than likely if they are told to hand them over, they will simply say, "Oh, we don't keep those kinds of records. We destroy them."

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I will certainly keep everyone updated. I did ask if it will help if a lot of people start requesting their records, but the Privacy Commission said that it won't at this stage, and to wait until a decision.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jourles, I am quite happy for them to lie, as I have access to the Elders book and Branch standards that specifically say they are to keep the records in an envelope. The more dishonest they behave the worse it will look for them.
    As a Bethelite that was always in trouble they also have information on me as a former volunteer worker/sucker.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

it's all about pressure. if you have the time to pressure the wt they will lose at some point. no person group can win every time using lies deception. etc. to hide what they are doing. you just have to use the laws and yuor time to wear the wt down. we all have our own game . on how we will wear down jw's /org. you just have to out last them. i have done my part with jw's in my city. i have the whole area of jw's running for their spritual brain deadness any time they even see my drive by. you keep pushing for what you want. and you will get it... it takes time and the wt has lots of time

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I remember when you first posted this.

I tries to get mine before that but was unsuccessful. They said it was their property.

Later when my JW MIL wanted to know if she could associate with me as family..they sent away for a copy of my Disassociation letter.

Well sure enough the elders there got a copy. They told her that it was OK to associate with me according to my letter. Now I was wondering what I had said..I do know I told them I no longer wanted to be a JW..

I wanted to see just what I wrote..it was a long time ago. But they refused.

Oh well..if you ever get yours maybe I will pursue it..otherwise..not.

I am in USA I don't know what our laws are about the privacy act. Maybe I will take the time to look it up some time..

Thanks for the update..Snoozy

• Synergy
    Synergy

I want my records SOOOO BAD! I want to put them in my book. I had he largest publishers record card of any child I know. Some months were over 130 hours. I want to put the copies of them in print for everyone to see. I also want the papers on my committee cases. If anyone knows how to get them in the US let me know!

Renee (pleading for papers class)

• inbyathread
    inbyathread
    They have then attempted to list Financial Records Standards in showing that there is a distinction between operating and non operating income.

Does that mean that they have profit and non-profit income?

Calling Mr. Tax Man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit