Why do the British dubs have such an animosity to Harry Potter?!

by CaptainSchmideo 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Pwned
    Pwned

my sister wont let my niece see Shrek because she "heard" there was voodoo in it.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My father wouldn't let us watch Cinderella. You can imagine what he must think of Harry Potter.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Lol wolfgirl - was that because of the gay references ie fairy Godmother?

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

My niece LOVES Harry Potter...and so do I...

She constantly goes on and on about the movie and how she loves it. One time we were at my in-laws and my husband was flippin' channels and one of the channels had the "The Sorceror's Stone" on. Well, he left it there and his little JW niece was all into it, mouth open and all!!! My niece was following the dialogue verbatim..hahah...then, in walks my M-I-L and she notices what's playing and made the BIGGEST deal about it...Oh, man!!! She scared me!! She was like...."TAKE IT OFF...CHANGE THE CHANNEL IMMEDIATELY....THAT'S DEVIL'S STUFF....TAKE IT OFF...(while she covered her granddaughter's eyes)" I was in awe...then I realized it and changed the channel. Then she went on about how bad that is and that I shouldn't let my niece watch it...WELL, IF SHE ONLY KNEW....

I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE EVEN SAT AND WATCHED "NARNIA" THE OTHER DAY...(it does contain magic and a white WITCH..MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH)

Harry Potter is just a character and stories...lighten up, JWs....

• dmouse
    dmouse

I think only the more Anal JWs don't let their kids watch Harry Potter. I know some who do, and they look down on those that don't as being 'a bit over the top' ; and some that don't who look down on the others as spiritually immature.

There was a very pointed comment in the Watchtower, obviously regarding Harry Potter:

October 15th 2002, Page 11:

Another of Satan’s snares is disguised occultism. No true Christian would deliberately dabble in Satanism or spiritism. Yet, some unwittingly let their guard down when it comes to films, TV series, video games, and even children’s books and comics that highlight violence or uncanny practices. Anything that smacks of the occult needs to be kept at a distance. The wise proverb states: "Thorns and traps are in the way of the crooked one; he that is guarding his soul keeps far away from them." (Proverbs 22:5) Since Satan is "the god of this system of things," anything that is very popular could possibly hide one of his traps.
  • Big Tex
    Big Tex

We visited England last November and stayed with some dear friends we've known for 20 years who are still active Witnesses. At the time I was re-reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" quite openly and nothing was said. I never felt uncomfortable or that they disapproved.

Of course I don't mean to make a sweeping statement on all Witnesses in the UK based on one family.

Chris

• poppers
    poppers

There are lots of mainstream Christian churches that get their collective panties bunched up over HP.

• juni
    juni

Society is also against any Fairy Tale books.

Remember E.T.? Our PO had the audacity to exclude all movies except those rated G. But HE watched other movies. Hypocrite!!

Juni

• Gill
    Gill

My cousin removed her son from English classes at his school because they were reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It caused a lot of trouble, (persecution in her eyes) but he was given a different book to read.

NUTS! I say, totally NUTS!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They have akways been the same about anything to do with witches or magic. When I first started studying, I had a full set of JRR Tolkein books, such as the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. The sisters who studied with me almost had a fit one time when they came in and I had been reading one of them. I was "encouraged" to rid myself of them, which I did, much as I loved them. Nothing much changes in dubland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit