Why do the British dubs have such an animosity to Harry Potter?!

by CaptainSchmideo 35 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

If I have ever mentioned that I've seen the movies or read the books to a Witness in GB, I get the kind of reaction that used to be reserved for Smurfs here in America.

I am not naive enough to not understand any discomfort with a school for witches, but this stuff is about as threatening as Casper the Friendly Ghost. I find the books charming, if a little long winded and formulaic. The movies, especially the later two, tighten up the plots and jettison a lot of excess baggage. But in either case, they are a delight to read and watch, and are much better in character development than other movies aimed at kids.

Here in America, stuff like this is discouraged among the dubs. But when I mentioned it to a couple of people from Britain, you'd have thought I'd suggested eating babies! One sister was especially hostile about JK Rowling, calling her a Satan worshiper, and throwing in some insults about her education and her class position.

So, what gives?!

• Synergy
    Synergy

hehe, America is just as Hostile to Harry as GB I can assure you. I also wasn't allowed to watch Casper as a JW. My parents walked out of the movie My Little Pony when I was 6 because of the witch it had in it. Say Harry Potter to a dub in North Florida and they'll try to expell the demons from you.

Renee (of the no longer scared of the dark class)

• vomit
    vomit

I find UK dubs a little bit mor fanitical about dubdum in general. I think America has matured a little bit. As get general UK population hates it as it is an American religion, when you do fall for it, you have to put on a strounger suit of armour(though the deep south may be a fundimental).

Things I was not alowed to watch as a child.
    Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles(Violence)
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Magic)
    Home and Away, Soap Opera (Incourages sex before mariage)
    Documentarys about Evolution.
    Resident Evil Video game... I was 16 and not alowed have it in the house.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Well come on... it's magic, spells, chrystal balls, ghosts, Dark arts, dementors.. have you read the books!

I personally love them, and my son has the full set, but I can see why the JWs dont go along with it. I actually tend to forget the smaller 'silly' rules now and it's only when I see my family getting uncomfortable when my son talks about Harry Potter that I remember it's a no no!

I dont feel the Uk is any more or less strict, it's just different strokes for different folks!

Poppy

• Clam
    Clam

A cruel worldlyâ„¢ person once pointed out to me that Harry Potter is too far fetched, because no way would a ginger kid have more than one friend at his school.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

I let my kids watch the Harry Potter movies and they like it alot, my wife which is still a more or less active dub, doesn't want them in the house, but both my boys saw the 3 movies at my moms place, the fourth one actually my wife let them watch in the house, but she did not want to see it, I guess its a begining that she at least lets the movies inside of the house...

• TheListener
    TheListener

I don't think most dubs would watch Casper cartoons or read the Caspar comic books.

Some dubs don't watch Disney movies with magic in them either. For example, bedknobs and broomsticks, Aladin.

• KW13
    KW13

i had to get rid of mine cos it was 'evil'. now i am gonna get 'em all again

• Mary
    Mary

I don't think the British Dubs are any more hostile towards Harry Potter than say the Dubs in Australia: to them, Harry Potter involves witchcraft, wizardry and magic: all big no-nos. To me, it's about as demonic as Lord of the Rings (which by the way, alot of Dubs have seen).

The only reason I can think why British Dubs could possibly have even more that the usual hatred of Harry Potter or J.K. Rowling, is because the setting for the books and movies is in Britian. Maybe the Dubs there feel more threatened??

• jgnat
    jgnat

Easy target.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit