Why do the British dubs have such an animosity to Harry Potter?!

by CaptainSchmideo 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

Big Tex....HUH??? I am not a Fundy or a JW.....I don't belong to any religion.....The scripture explains why, and I thought you wanted to understand why Main stream Christians didn't want their Kids to see the movie or read the book on "Harry Potter". I am still only the Messenger bringing the message.

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

Oops sorry Big Tex...The above message is to Abandon....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    but I am the messenger and not the message...no need to preach AT me

I'm sorry you feel that way. May I point out however, that generally one who quotes scripture is considered to be the one 'preaching'.

The first paragraph of my original post was an attempt in accuracy by pointing out that the series and the author use magic only as the vehicle to re-tell an ages old story of the hero, his coming of age and eventual triumph over evil. This story is told and re-told throughout Greek, Roman and Norse mythology and has been told many times in modern literature. The irony is that the books consistently say that nothing is more powerful than love and it is love that the character of Harry Potter must use to finally defeat evil. Not magic, but love. Kinda reminds me of what a long-haired outcast who was villified by his religion taught a couple of millenia ago.

The second paragraph was not directed at you, rather more aimed at those small minded Christians whose noses are so stuck in letter of the Bible that they demonize that which they do not understand and therefore miss the spirit of the message. Their inconsistency is the epitome of hypocrisy.

Whether you agree with such ones did not occur to me. However, now that you brought it up, where is your righteous indignation over Shakespeare? How many times have you quoted scripture to villify one of the most famous and accomplished persons in English literature? The Weird Sisters were not only witches but foretold the future ("bubble bubble toil and trouble ..."). Sorcery and witches play an important role in several of his plays, and yet where is the outcry?

Chris

• Gill
    Gill

Great points Big Tex!

Myself, I think the anti Harry Potter rhethoric that is heard from JWs, and I have heard at assemblys and the platform, is sheer jealousy from the WTBTS!

They could only dream as to make the kind of money on their works of pure fiction that Ms J K Rowling does. It's just jealousy and sour grapes!!

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

Well, Big Tex on Shakespere I am no expert....maybe there was some righteous indignation somewhere in history against Old Shakey but it doesn't concern me....That's LIFE. Are you afraid that the Fundies are going change your your way of life? I'm NOT!

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Good points, Big Tex!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit