JWs Try To Micro-Manage Every Possible Scenario In Life!

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A point well taken, Minimus.

A couple of things I think about what you wrote.

1. High control religions HAVE to live up to their name! The Witness leadership has never trusted the rank and file to make decisions on their own. They must always seek direction from ABOVE.

2. The whole "it might stumble someone" thinking is only one sided - the side that agrees with what Witness leadership feels. For example, we were always told you couldn't grow your hair long (men) or wear beards, because someone might be stumbled. NOTHING was ever said about the person who might be stumbled due to the lack of individual stylistic expression in dress and grooming among JWs.

The Brookly Heights Press always called the Bethelites "Jehovah's Zombies" because of the cookie cutter look - but nothing is ever said about the people stumbled because of the "sameness" of JWs.

You can apply that to dozens of areas. How about people stumbled because of the WTS stand on higher education? How women are treated in the congregation? Spanking children during meetings?

The whole control and stumbling thing is just indicatve of the cult-like aspects of the JWs.

S4

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's a terrible guilt complex having to represent jehovah just make sure you don't do anything to bring reproach upon his name. It's a heavy responsibility that in other religions is being held by priests.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The "One Towel Rule" is my favorite.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

I like your perspective on how JWs can "stumble" others conversely! It's all how you want to look at things.

• blondie
    blondie

Words from the "slave" with an adjusted application.

Some development experts believe that elder-led spirituality is creating a new type of problem member—micromanaged Christians who are stressed and emotionally volatile, cannot sleep, and complain of aches and pains. One psychologist observes that by the time these Christians reach their tenth baptismal year, many have not learned to develop coping skills and are “burned out, antisocial and rebellious.”

A KH bully could be an acid-tongued elder or a scheming member and is as likely to be a woman as a man. Such ones overcontrol, micromanage, and put others down with negative remarks and constant criticism, often humiliating their target in front of others. Bullies rarely recognize their impoliteness or apologize for their behavior. They often victimize members who are capable, loyal, and well liked by fellow members.

The Pharisees elders want people to believe that it was more important to gain the approval of men than that of God. The Pharisees elders take it upon themselves to become moral dictators who form their own rules and then judge others by how well they measure up. Those who follow the Pharisees elders are weakened in the use of their Bible-trained conscience, in effect becoming slaves of men.

While the Pharisees elders are caught up in trying to control people with countless rules, Jesus sought to reach hearts. Such teaching took far more wisdom and discernment than simply laying down rigid, formulaic rules.

For Jesus, people meant more than most rules; for the Pharisees elders, rules meant more than people.

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, is this from the June 18, 2006 Watchtower?

• Scully
    Scully

If you spend all your time micro-managing your behaviour and your family's behaviour to ensure that nobody gets stumbled and that you give the appearance of being a perfect JW, then you won't have any time left to notice that the Emperor has no clothes.

As a distractionary technique it is highly effective. As a long term plan for recruiting and retainment of "slaves" it's somewhat less effective, because eventually the highly dedicated individual who cares about how they are perceived by others is going to get burned out and realize that they have been pwned.

• juni
    juni

Blondie - Where did you get that info?

Scully - That is what happened to me. When I left I was suicidal w/guilt as I couldn't keep going on as I had for 21 yrs., but I felt like a heathen. Took years of counseling and I finally DA myself.

Juni

• Woofer
    Woofer

I got sick of the micromanaging style.

EVERYTHING you do they have to have a say-so!

"Don't wear your hair like that/dress like that . . . you might stumble someone"

"Don't drive that type of car . .you might stumble someone"

Even telling a man and woman what is appropriate or not appropriate in the privacy of their own bedroom!

• blondie
    blondie

juni, they are words from the "slave" with a few adjustments....the WTS talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit