are we in the last hours

by force 60 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi tea for two,

I read that link before as well as all of Rusell's Studies in the Scriptures books. I still have them as a matter of fact because there is really good information in them. But as far as Russell's chronology, none of it has proven true. Because if it did, we should have been in the new order already. He said the complete overthrow of Satan and his system would be in 1914. We really will not know the date when Christ will come. We have signs given as a marker to know when he may be near but only Jehovah knows the date. Here is a scripture I'd like to share, it is something Christ said about his coming:

Acts 1:7
    He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

In Russell's book, he goes on to add to that above scripture by saying that Christ must have been told the date by Jehovah upond his ascending to heaven. And therefore reasons that Christ must have somehow communicated this to his true followers. He gives the date of this communication to be sometime in the 1800s and of course the followers were Russell's own bible student movement. While Christ may know know the date, it does not really matter. Because nowhere in scripture is their evidence to support what Russell believed about his group being the only chosen ones to know that infomation. His reading into that above text, which is clear and was told the the Apostles, is just merely conjecture. The Lord could not be any clearer than saying "it is not for you to know". If you read Matthew 24 and 25 you will see that the signs he gives were as markers only to know when the time is near. He even compares the signs to a fig tree and knowing when it will sprout and then says just like we see the evidence of the fig tree ready to sprout, we will likewise see evidence that Christ is ready to come. Nowhere does he say the evidence points to his already arriving. Russell taught he already arrive, invisibly and that is how he got his figures. Russell actually got them from the measurments of the Pyramids in Egypt, but that is another story.

Russell should have stopped after his first book the Divine Plan of the Ages. When he continued writting books, he began adding more and more of his own ideas into what was actually written in the bible. His biggest mistake was the chronologies and the invisible presence of Christ. These are not supported by scripture. And these ideas helped to spawn the evil empire we today know as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    Re: are we in the last hours

It's a great time to be alive!

Dismembered

• oldflame
    oldflame

Gees, two of the same threads in a week period, one gets 12 post and the other gets 2 pages. Is there favoritism going on here or what ? LOL

• jgnat
    jgnat

Cynical, inquirer? I did not cut my teeth on doomsayers from the WITNESSES. The media were the first to hoodwink me in the seventies. Back then I was convinced the Russkies would blow us up to kingdom come with the A-bomb. Remember the reports that the world's population explosion would use up all our resources and we'd all be eating Kelp? And oil would be all used up by 1980. I didn't bother to get a driver's licence when I was a teen thanks to THAT bit of failed prophecy.

THEN I had the pleasure of hanging out with evangelical end-timers. One sweet lady tried to convince me our small town was swarming with Satanists. AND ALL I COULD SEE was a warm community that embraced me as one of their own. Whatever was I thinking?

I don't need to read another book or listen to another CD to know what life is all about. I get more from talking over the fence with my neigbours, taking a favorite dog for a walk, or telling my granddaughter that she is beautiful and smart.

I'm blushing as a newborn flowerchild now. Why worry? Plant tulips instead. Gardening is far more productive.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Luck of the draw, oldflame. I've given up trying to figure out why some posts fly and others fizzle.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

I was told I wouldn't make it to Junior High. I'm 25 now!

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two
    Russell should have stopped after his first book the Divine Plan of the Ages. When he continued writting books, he began adding more and more of his own ideas into what was actually written in the bible. His biggest mistake was the chronologies and the invisible presence of Christ. These are not supported by scripture. And these ideas helped to spawn the evil empire we today know as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

I couldn't agree with you more lilly

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Oh crap!! - if we are in the last "hours" that means that we only have the following left:

last half-hour

last quarter-hour

last ten minutes

last five minutes

last minute

last second

any second now.....

Thanks for reminding me to make a contribution to my retirement account!!

• KW13
    KW13

Fear of death...Fear of God...mix 'em together and folks like you and i get scared UNLESS you quickly work out the JW's are making it all up.

Seriously. Your not gonna die!! The society lie, there is evidence and proof they are hypocrites and more. God hasn't chosen them (or anyone else) so your safe.

Welcome.

• force
    force

thank you for all your replies. i didn't know the jws said the world was going to end before. i will tell my mum this, maybe she does not know.

by the way i am a girl not a boy. someone called me 'son'.

my father goes to church. he thinks that all the christians are going to be taken off the earth when jesus returns and then everyone left over will be in a big war, will end up dead then go to hell.

one nutty family i have got.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit