Apple Imac VS Dell

by pratt1 14 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

I am currently shopping for a new computer and I am very interested in investing in an Apple IMAC - Intel.

Since I have only used and owned Dell computers that is compatitable with Windows I am worried that I will not have access to all of the programs and systems that I normally use.

Has anyone else made this transition, or are there any Apple users out there? What has been you experience with Apple?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Pratt1, thats a deficult descition. I had to make the choice a few months back, and decided to get my last PC. I'm at NAB in Vegas at the moment, and its a 50/50 split here. My personnel choice would be to wait for second generation machines. It depends on what software you use, if that software can ony be run on a perticular type of OS, and, if your business requires an Apple right now. steve

• ocelot
    ocelot

You can install windows on those new intel iMacs anyway. Macs are pretty poor value but they are kinda cool. Dells are cheap but have pretty poor performance compared to a computer built by yourself or a small computer shop.

• ackack
    ackack

iMac's are not poor value. But they are not cheaply built the way Dell's are. I think the 17" dual core intel iMac is very decent value for what you get. Besides which, you get Mac OS X which is a very nice operating system. Its nice being able to run a computer without having to think too hard about about virus and spyware. There is something at the end of the day of value to have a computer that "just works".

ackack (of the mac-using class)

• upside/down
    upside/down

I have a Dell...and it's built like a TANK!

This thing kicks ass...Never had a problem with it... and I have 3 kids, broadband and a cat that likes to live on top of my 'puter.

Plus I got a great warranty...that I've never used.

Mi dos centavos...

u/d

• kid-A
    kid-A

I've got a Dell desktop and inspiron laptop, they both kick ass and are fast as hell. I have NEVER had a dell crash on me using windows XP OS.

In contrast, I have used Macs that crashed every 30 minutes and certainly were not any faster than a high-end dell with a Pentium 4 processor.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

From a computer engineers point of view I'd go with an intel / amd Pc rather than a Mac. Macs work out a lot more expensive and you'll have to pay out for all new software as windows software wont run on a mac straight out of the box. There are Windows emulators that will allow you to run windows and windows software on a mac but they are slow and buggy still.

As Far as getting a Dell I wouldn't recommend them. Here in the UK Dell locks its systems to only use Dell hardware. So if you need a bigger hard drive you cant just buy any hard drive, you have to buy a Dell Hard drive, from them. With a captured market like that they can bung the price up on their computer parts and IMOHO rip you off. Dell also use cheap and cheerful computer parts, they perform but the performance is generally run of the mill and nothing special. If you are doing intensive computer processing you may be disappointed in their performance. If you are doing just stuff like word processing you might find they suit your needs.

I build my own so its not a decision I have to make...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Unless you have to buy now, wait until you can buy an Intel based Mac that comes with Apple's Dual-Boot facility.

This means you start and run Max OS-X, or start and run Windows XP (and Visa whenever that arrives). Best of both worlds.

If you do anything creative on your computer, you might find you LOVE Apples to bits. On the other hand, Windows is useful for it's office suite.

If you can play with a friend's Mac for an afternoon, you should be able to decide; if you don't like it, a Windows box will be cheaper, no point in getting a dual-boot Apple if you'll never use it as an Apple.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

At home I've got a Dell poweredge server, optiplex workstation, and lattitude notebook. All have been quick and reliable. I haven't had any trouble adding new hardware, including additional hard drives. I have 3 other computers I built myself, also quick and reliable. The difference is that if I need more RAM, or I need to replace a blown power supply I can go to any computer shop to get parts for my homemade boxes. For my homemade computers any downtime is measured in minutes rather than days.

I won't comment on Macs as my experience with them is limited.

W

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

I use Mac at home and for my home business (iMac and iBook)... and a Dell at work. It really depends on what you plan to use it for. I LOVE my mac. But I do a ton of video and music editing, compressing, burning. A Dell is great if you plan on using it for basic stuff (internet, word processing, etc).

Another thing I like about Mac is it is harder to accidentally break the operating system. There are less viruses and the chances of deleting a crucial file are minimal. It seems easier to delete crucial files on a windows machine. But that's just me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit