Anyone know about 'cutting'?

by love2Bworldly 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I am researching cutting and self-mutilation because I have a close family member who is doing this--she burned her arm last week and it's bad. I was wondering--I found an article on the internet that talks about support for the person and how some people get relief by using other methods like icing the skin with ice cubs or flicking themselves with rubber bands.

This person is in therapy and in the care of a psyciatrist too but I just wondered how common this is. Her diagnosis isn't even for sure--could be ADHD or depression.

Any comments on experience with this would be helpful.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Sadly our niece just got out of the hospital for this same problem. She is doing a lot better now that she is medicated and out of a bad situation.

All the best to you and your family.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I have known two or three persons who cut and self mutilate.........it's a lot bigger problem than I was aware of......quite frightening........I hear there are medications that can help....... Terri

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I know of several people who do this. In fact one of my sisters has this problem, she's been in treatment for awhile now and hasn't cut herself in months. But she is severely scarred up from it.

• mavie
    mavie

My wife did this as a teenager. She talks about her experience to anyone who will listen.

She did this to relieve emotional pain, she could 'feel' the bad thoughts and experiences bleeding from her body when she cut. It was a piece of her life she had total control over, no one could take it away from her.

How did she stop? At her lowest point, after seeing doctors, taking pills, trying a lot of different things, she prayed intently and gave herself over to God. She has related this to imagining in your mind a garbage bag into which you put your problems...then you throw that mentally to God. It gave her the piece of mind to sleep at night.

I know that method doesn't help everyone, and I strongly encourage anyone experiencing this to seek help from trained medical doctors. Cutting may always be a part of her makeup, and she still has those thoughts during low periods....but she has found a coping mechanism in God, and through my support.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's more common than you'd think.

There are several on this board who have experienced this, including those who once participated in the practice.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Just wanted to let you know, I have cut myself in the past. I've had depression all my life and suicidal thoughts. Sometimes it is worse than others. I cut myself to release emotional pain so that I would not kill myself. I haven't done it for a long time though. Since I left the WT org, my stress level is much better now and I have a relationship with the Lord Jesus. This helps a lot. When I was a child, I was abused sexually and physically and back then I would burn myself instead of cutting. Therapy is a good route. The person has to learn another way to release stress. For me, now, I do it by prayer and when I feel overwelmed I ask for a hug. I know it sounds crazy but I still have wicked flashbacks to my childhood. The other day, I was watching a T.V. show about families in crisis and they video taped this man jumping on and hitting his teenage daughter. Whenever I see someone go nuts hitting their kids, I go completely APE! I am right back in the past with my father. Anyway, I was completely shaking and had to turn the T.V. off. I said out loud, I think I need a hug and my 13 year old daugher came over and hugged me until I felt better. I have post traumatic stress disorder too which is I guess what results in the flashbacks. I am not on meds right now because I get too many side effects. It is a long hard road. And what works for one person may not work for another. But the best you can do for a person that is a self mutalator is to support them, and not be judgemental. They know it is wrong but really cannot help it. I hope I helped a little by sharing my story. Lilly

Feel free to email me if you have any questions: [email protected]

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

We just got a letter at school about this. We were told that in an average class (thats about 25 to 30 pupils) about 3 will self harm. I dont know anything about it, but I didnt realise it was so common.

I understand the act of pain releases endorphins(?) so that there is a physical payoff in relief and even pleasure (?). I guess its a bit like exercising where you can get addicted to the homones released.

I wish you well in your search for help and information.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

There is a certain neurotransmittor released during self mutilation that actually makes the victim feel better.

Not only cutting, but burning, banging the head, even (in cases where it was a doctor) putting a needle in the arm to bleed when wanted.

Usually the person feels unworthy or unclean or depressed. Others in the same boat turn to alcohol or drugs.

HB

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

{{{{{{{{Lovely Lillian}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thank you for sharing that. I'm so glad you have overcome so much. I had a hard time watching that show too on Primetime. Poor girl, did you notice how she has already blocked it out? I did that too. Blocked so much for years.

My husband and I did an intervention last year on a adolescent who was cutting and nothing was being done to help her. There is usually a dead dog laying on the floor somewhere that the family is walking over. Usually sexual abuse that the family is trying to deny. Swift intervention, treatment and removing them from the abusive situation is vital, but sadly the cutter often ends up back at home as if THEY were the ones with the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit