Incoming Awake, Incoming Awake!!

by HadEnuf 15 Replies latest jw friends

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I decided to treat myself to breakfast out at our favorite greasy spoon this morning. I settled into my booth (when did they shrink the booths?) and was enjoying that first sip of java when one of my favorite wait-persons walks up and throws an Awake magazine right on top of my paper. I recoiled in fear and horror and quickly made the sign of the cross because I figure if it works for vampires it might work here. I asked her to remove it (all the wait staff and owners of this restaurant know our whole story) and she just laughed and walked away and told me someone else who would remain anonymous told her to give it to me (another wait-person, not a JW).

I started to get the shakes (not from the java) and beads of sweat broke out on my face as I gazed at that wretched magazine sitting in front of me. So I summoned the busser and had him remove it for me. I told him to trash it. Well he takes it and walks about 10 feet away and starts reading it...or er um...looking at the pics because he's Mexican and doesn't read English much, though he's giving it a good go at the speaking part and slowly teaching the hubster and I some rudimentary Spanish. Then I think he stuffed it in the dirty dish bin. I hope.

Then decided to go over to the local Kohl's and buy the grandkiddies some stuff and went to check out and DANG...there was a JW working the register. And she had the shortest line. But I went into the longer line and waited and waited and waited (price check) and then thought, what the hell...what was I afraid of??? So I went back over and let this woman (who used to be one of my better "friends" in the JW's) check me out. Thank whoever that she didn't preach at me or tell me how much she missed me. We just talked grandchildren. She did complain though about having to work two jobs (her hubster is out of a job), take care of the home and go to meetings. Then get up and do it all over again. I wanted to tell her to give up those frickin' meetings and things would be much better but since she had already been eyeing up my tattoo...I kept my mouth shut (yeah Brookie...if you're reading this I can do that).

I don't know how many brain cells died today after these encounters. Too many to count I'm sure.

ta ta...have a spectacular JW free weekend.

cathy/mumsy

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Yikes. When ever I see JW related stuff, I have an emotional reaction too, though I wouldnt' say I break out in a sweat.

• delilah
    delilah

LMAO, Cathy.... That's too funny! I had the same feeling come over me when we arrived at my mom's last weekend, and lo and behold, there is a Witness couple there. I just felt all cold and defensive-like...silly eh? Needless to say, they left pretty quick !!

When I happen to run into witnesses in the store, it's funny to watch them squirm, because they usually spot me first, and make some quick movements that catch my eye...hahaha. Silly people. You have a wonderful weekend too, (witness-free), that is.

• blondie
    blondie

Man, Cathy, I hope you didn't tip her. I would have shoved it where the sun don't shine with that attitude. Sheez, weird sense of humor.

I don't mind running into JWs...don't much though. I just kill them with kindness and change the subject whenever it veers the wrong way. I just make sure I can always walk away if it gets uncomfortable or I develop selective deafness.

I cleaned out my library of the duplicate WT books and magazines. Gonna have a nice bonfire at the in-laws.

Must be Mormon season; saw 2 sets of Mormon boys in white, long-sleeved shirts, black slacks, name tags, and bicycles in separate areas of town. I wonder if they're getting much action?

Blondie

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

When I see a witness, I could care less.

I forget their names(not good with names). They start talking (blah blah blah)...and I love to stop them ask them what their names is. Funny enough, they get the subtle hint as to I don't really care. Sometimes, I am even so honest I say "Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but I could care less about this conversation, and I really need to get going....Have a Fantastic Day"! God I am such a Bi*ch with out even trying!

Just be yourself, never shut up speak and your mind. This is how I make friends!

Brooke

• luna2
    luna2

Cathy, how horrifying! An Awake with breakfast and then an encounter at the store...eeek! Sounds like you handled it with superior diplomacy and good humor! LOL

I almost never see the dubs around here. Not sure where they are hiding these days. Oh wait, talked to one on the phone this morning but he's a customer so I'm used to him.

A JW-free weekend to you too!

• steve2
    steve2

No way have you diminished your neurons! Your vigorous response probably increased your neural networks - you will now have an increased level of brain synaptic activity - unlike the hapless woman who served you who seemed dead on her feet. Well done!

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...you guys (and that includes the gals but you know what I mean) are so funny. I had to laugh at everyone's responses...but I can't be mad at the wait-person. She is a good friend of ours and just did it as a joke. I GUESS I GOT PUNKED!

i'm over it already. i think

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

When I see something witness related...I have an irresistible urge to laugh. hehehe. It's so pityful I can't help it. The pictures in the magasines are very entertaining.

If something like the table incident happens again. I suggest you pick the thing up and start looking through it, make sure people hear you when you laugh at the crazy pics and grin and shake your head at the written nonsense. When you're done, you put it back on the table with a smile and say something like "Tsk, crazy cults..."...possibly, you could leave some WT money inside, for the next person.

• ObservingTexan
    ObservingTexan

When I see a witness, I could care less.

I forget their names(not good with names). They start talking (blah blah blah)...and I love to stop them ask them what their names is. Funny enough, they get the subtle hint as to I don't really care. Sometimes, I am even so honest I say "Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but I could care less about this conversation, and I really need to get going....Have a Fantastic Day"! God I am such a Bi*ch with out even trying!

Just be yourself, never shut up speak and your mind. This is how I make friends!

Brooke

What in the hell is in the water up there in Wisconson... or should I say cheeze?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit