Pink slips at Bethel

by beavis 49 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82
    Still waiting for proof, more than just anecdotal evidence, of the "massive layoffs" at Bethel....

Not sure what would satisfy you as "proof", as opposed to "evidence", but anyways...

About a month ago, there was a short-notice (letter went out on a Wednesday for a Saturday afternoon meeting) meeting that the CO called with all service committees in our circuit. We are supposed to help look for "affordable" housing accomodations for a number of "special pioneers" that will soon move to our area.

The number of "special pioneers" has hovered around 200-250 in the US for the past decade at least. Virtually all are assigned to Appalachia (sp), or the sparsely populated territories out west. Now, suddenly, we here in a major metropolitan area are to expect an influx of "special pioneers", this influx lining up exactly with the timing of the "layoffs" from Bethel, which, according to many other threads, is being phased in over the course of many months...

Not exactly a mathematical "proof", but sounds like pretty strong circumstancial evidence to me...

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Amnesian - yup, my mom is a JW, second gen. But we all have big mouths in our family. A bunch of hot headed Irish folk. The woman may only stand five feet but her mouth is what takes up the most of that space. When I was a kid it embarassed the heck out of me, now I just laugh. She tells it like she sees it.

But you have to understand, my mother is of the age group that is constantly afraid that her job is going to lay her off and she will be out of a job. That being the case, she is very sympathetic towards those who are leaving because they are most likely in their 40's and/or 50's. She really feels for them.

• LDH
    LDH
    Pick fruit

It looks like the Mexicans will be having some competition soon.

Considering that these boys are used to being worked like slaves, they might be surprised to learn they could work in the fields or the packing houses here in the San Joaquin valley and make a good $11-$12 an hour if they are a good worker.

Lisa

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/105169/1.ashx

Are you thinking of this worker's compensation case?

Blondie

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

looking_glass:

Amnesian-yup, my mom is a JW, second gen; But we all have big mouths in our family; A bunch of hot headed Irish folk. ; The woman may only stand five feet but her mouth is what takes up the most of that space; When I was a kid it embarassed the heck out of me, now I just laugh; She tells it like she sees it.

Lol! I can imagine. But how I admire the few JW women who not only manage to construct an independent thought but who also fearlessly speak it to point out injustices and hypocrisy in the WT. As a JW I most loathed the stifling, simpering artificial sameness and uniformity of virtually every expressed thought, especially from the ever-eager-to-please "sisters."

But I digress.

But you have to understand, my mother is of the age group that is constantly afraid that her job is going to lay her off and she will be out of a job; That being the case, she is very sympathetic towards those who are leaving because they are most likely in their 40's and/or 50's; She really feels for them.

Of course I understand---I am in that age group and feel nothing but contempt for those who would treat their naive loyalty with such disregard and insensitivity especially at such a difficult age at which to have to start over, so to speak. I agree with every word you've conveyed from your mom and, my compassion for the outplaced notwithstanding, my honest hope is that the scales will fall from their idol-worshipping eyes as a result of this betrayal.

AMNESIAN

• rebel8
    rebel8

Why are you looking for proof about the layoffs, Eduardo? Seems like an exercise in futility to me....it's not as if the WT is going to have an article about it. If they did, I can't imagine it being anything more than an article full of denial, minimization, and diversion.

------------------------------

JWs all over the internet and IRL are talking about it. I've talked to a guy who claims to have applied for Bethel service recently and he said the older workers are being let go.

The email quoted in the earlier post claims the "older workers are being taken care of". I've heard the opposite from JWs recently. The word is they are being given time to find a place to live and to save $ for transportation to get out, but that's it.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

My guess is that the New York State Workmen's Compensation Board would have the pleadings filed in this matter. However, you will be required to have a password and login to obtain records. I do not have access to that state's materials.

According to Pacer (court search engine) there have been no appeals filed on behalf of the WTBTS in the Upton case. However, as I am not familiar with how the NY labor relations board works, I don't know if they have an internal appeal process to go thru prior to going up to the next level. That being the case, the WTBTS may have filed an appeal. I just don't know for certain.

I noted on the other thread that referenced this matter, someone said that they knew Brenda and her husband, Michael, maybe if that person could speak up and let us know if the matter has been appealed or not.

Keep in mind, you only have so many days to appeal a deicison otherwise your appeal is barred. Since this happened in January of this year, my guess is that they did not appeal and that the case is settled. I think that further explains the mass lay-offs.

Again, I respect anyone who questions what is happening and the need to see it in print. Go to Google and do an advanced search w/ the words Workers' Compensation Law Judge Stephen Goldstein and you will see the various links and articles to the ruling.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21
    Why are you looking for proof about the layoffs, Eduardo? Seems like an exercise in futility to me....it's not as if the WT is going to have an article about it. If they did, I can't imagine it being anything more than an article full of denial, minimization, and diversion.

Why wouldn't a person want to see some tangible evidence of what amounts, to this point, nothing but rumour and speculation?

Of the many written documents alluded to by some, none of these documents have been actually produced.

So far all we have are friend-of-a-friend type claims and persons claiming to have heard direct statements or received direct reports from Bethelites.

Additionally, turn-over at Bethel is a constant feature and people have always been asked to leave. Simply because a few are asked to leave, it doesn't indicate "massive layoffs" as has been speculated.

The adoption of new technologies and automated printers will result in a reduction of staff - that seems simple enough.

As for proof, no I am not expecting any articles in the Watchtower or Awake!, unless the Brooklyn Bethel HQ is abandoned (sold off) entirely and relocated to Patterson.

However, one potential proof might be (even for gradual reduction over months or years), might be the selling off of residential housing property in Brooklyn. (Unfortunately we have contradictory reports of sell-off of some property but new construction or plans for other housing.)

Other evidence might be direct reports of former Bethelites together with their documentation.

A third area of evidence might be the absence over the next couple of years of any "pitch" within the Society's publications for new Bethelites. Generally such a pitch occurs at least every couple of years if not annually. Although some have claimed that it is the old-timers being laid off, it still would not make sense that the Society would call for new Bethelites.

The fact is that there are a number of contradictory reports and rumours circulating. Some say it is the old-timers being laid off, some say it is the newbies, some say it is the ones with higher education and skills that are being retained. Some say the lay offs are gradual (in which case how does that differ than the usual trickle and turnover?) and some say that the layoffs are going to be occurring at a more dramatic speed.

My only point is to be somewhat sceptical about all of these rumours and the so-called "massive Bethel layoff" and to urge that more evidence be brought forth before such rumors are given the foundation of truth.

-Eduardo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Looking_Glass,

First, considering the economic cost of having to pay workers' comp insurance, upon the WTS, it seems inconceivable that it would not have appealed.

Secondly, considering that the "judge" almost certainly got the ruling wrong, it further seems inconceivable that the WTS would not have appealed.

Third, as cited in the article the WTS spokesman said that the WTS would appeal.

Finally, even if no appeal was filed, there would be some record of it, noting that no appeal was filed.

I have had the same trouble as you in finding out anything more about the case. Again if anyone has more info, let us know? I am thinking of emailing the newswriters to see if they followed up on their own story or not.

-Eduardo

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

oroborus:

Have you visited Headquarters?

Had you visited 5 years ago and compare it to know we would not have this conversation. THE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT which is huge HAS NO WORK. THE CONSTRUCTION DEPARTMENT which is huge HAS NO WORK.

I think the phrase "massive layoffs" is what you are hooked on. In the business world...once massive layoffs are announced, they are done quickly. The WTBTS does not want to give that impression.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit