Holy Crap! My bank account has been emptied by fraudsters!!!!

by nicolaou 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

A few hours ago I went to put some fuel in my motor and used my debit card to pay as I always do. "Sorry sir, your card has been declined". How embarrasing is that?! I paid cash and went straight to my bank. To cut a very long story short, my card had been cloned and all the funds taken out via ATM's in Sri Lanka last night!

Fortunately the card was only linked to my business account but it was still just over a grand! The bank takes full responsibility and I'll get my money back, but the bloody nerve of these people!!

Nic'

• Scully
    Scully

oh my goodness! what a shock that must have been, nic!

Glad your bank isn't holding you responsible though! Are they going to issue a new ATM card and cancel the one that was duplicated?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Yikes!!!!!!!! {{{{{{running to ATM to get my remaining $37.00}}}}}}}}}}}}}

B*stards!

• Jourles
    Jourles

We had this happen a few years ago. One Saturday morning, Bank of America called us and woke us up asking me if we had recently made any home audio purchases in Singapore or some other Asian locale. I was still lumbering from my sleep and asked "Whaa??" Somehow my debit card was duplicated and the perps went on a shopping spree spending around $4k on stereo gear. And then shortly thereafter, they tried buying around $300 in shoes. The shoe purchase was declined as they already had sucked our checking account dry(and BoA said later that since we were such good customers they allowed the initial purchase to go through - we would have to add funds later to make up the difference - that is, if WE were the ones to make the purchase.). Long story short, we got our money back in about 5 days. Still sucked though knowing that you were a victim of identity theft and that they can easily clone your card.

• rebel8
    rebel8

OMG! (Wait just a minute....are you kidding? This thread is in the entertainment folder.)

• daystar
    daystar

It happened to me twice when I banked with BankOne. It hasn't happened at all since I move to my Credit Union.

Sucks dude. What I did once was call some of the places where the purchases were made and tracked down where the person lived... They don't live there anymore.

The banks won't typically pursue any of these cases as they're insured. If you want to get them, do some research by calling some of the places. Act like you never received the shipment and ask them to verify what address they have down for the purchase. Pass this along to whatever authorities are responsible for this sort of thing where you are.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Had you been doing online purchases?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I had my identity stolen and it was so horrible to straighten all of that out. Even though it was several years ago, I still have a fraud alert out there. That way no one can apply for credit in my name and get it immediately, it takes 48 hours with a call to my home phone to confirm I applied for something.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Holy Crap is right! That's scary Nic.

Dismembered

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Aw geez Nic that sux. At least the bank will take care of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit