Holy Crap! My bank account has been emptied by fraudsters!!!!

by nicolaou 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• greendawn
    greendawn

If you will be reimbursed then you have nothing to be anxious about, but how do these people get the card data and duplicate them? It could be with those spy cameras they put at ATMs, or through spyware they put on the computer especiially keyloggers, or some dishonest retailers or their staff secretly record their data after the customer uses it to pay them.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

It's happened twice to me in two years with my old bank. I would get my statement and notice transactions at gas stations in Utah and other places I've never been. My old bank sucked. I would call and they would question me like I was the criminal. It would eventually get solved but it was annoying.

Insert Commercial Here: I switched to to a new bank and it is great!!! I can check my activity everyday and I can call an emergency number the minute I notice strange activity. The bank also calls to verify transactions when they seem strange (IE: expensive airline tickets, electronics, etc).

• Es
    Es

Holy crap that must be such a scary feeling. I would feel so invaded.

Im glad your getting your money back tho

es

• Simon
    Simon

Banks don't care about security ... know why? Because they never lose.

Merchants pay hefty fees (monthy + percentages of each transaction) but if a transactionis fraudulent then even though the bank authorised it the merchant is the one that loses out. To add insult to injury, the banks charge the merchant an additional fee for the transaction to be charged back. The banks make money from the fraud so IMO they do not attack it with as much vigour as they could ... just enough to make the profiteering not too blatant.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: They put a whole fake front on the machines so it may not just be the reader. It only needs to be on for an hour and they may hev lots of cards duplicated and pin numbers collected.

TIP: Limit the number of times you withdraw cash, use in-bank machines or get cash-back at the till.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Interesting Si - that must be why the merchants around here are *way* more vigilant than they ever used to be about checking your ID, etc. when you use a credit card.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit