What Do You Think There Is More Proof Of?

by Legolas 64 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

There can be no "proof" either way because the hypothesis is unfalsifiable and cannot be examined empirically.

It is amusing however that the "proof" being offered so far on this thread consists of fluffy nonsense about the wonders of babies and other such "Hallmark" moments!

Funny how the god people never mention the deformed babies, the diseases, plagues and horrors of the earth as part of their "proof of god". Having said that, if one were to accept the hypothesis

that there was some "supreme god" in the universe, this would only demonstrate how impotent, useless and uncaring said god is, sitting on his throne demanding his ass to be kissed while

the world is allowed to go to shit.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

good point kidA

although, i have to say...giving birth isnt a fluffy hallmark moment..

• daystar
    daystar

kid-A

You know what? I thought about this some time ago. And I came to the conclusion that if there was some single "God", that he could not really resemble what most Christians say he does. He would have to be very amoral.

People hang on this "God is love" sentiment and don't realize that that was only one opinion. They then color everything else they read in the bible with this, rationalizing this behavior or that behavior as coming "from love", sort of like a battered spouse will.

I say that people should come to terms with the idea that your God would just as soon see you drawn and quartered as see you die a ripe old happy age. It's there in black in white in the bible and seems apparent to me in reality.

We are the gods of our existences. That there are more powerful beings out there, I have no doubt. Human, for certain. Otherwise, I question. But each of us, individually, are the gods of our domains. We should embrace that and use that to fulfill our lives to the extent that they can be rather than allowing ourselves to be manipulated by "God", gods or (more than likely) the men who claim to speak for them.

(I know I'm being a bit stereotypical here. I just started and it kept flowing out.)

• kid-A
    kid-A

People hang on this "God is love" sentiment and don't realize that that was only one opinion

Precisely, those who believe in god see him only in the most positive light because of the fundamental purpose that this belief serves: psychological anesthesia. Even when the god people admit to the "dark side" of god (i.e. his wrath and vengeance) it is still only in the context of "he will save MY ass, but smote my enemies!", thus, even at this level, the belief in god is driven by egocentric motivations and the human instinct for self-preservation. Yes, its all fine and dandy to have god at our sides during our "Taster's Choice Moments", but he seems to conveniently disappear whenever the shit hits the fan! LOL

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

It is not possible to prove that something does not exist. If you doubt this, prove to me that my invisible dog doesn't exist. You can't do it. No matter what you say, I can just tell you that you're not looking hard enough, or that you don't have the right sensing equipment, or that you're part of a conspiracy to pretend he doesn't exist when he does, and so on. It is a basic principle of logic that you cannot prove that something does not exist.

However, there is also no direct evidence for God. Sunsets and hummingbirds do not prove the existence of a guy in the sky, because anyone with any other story could also incorporate those things into a different story to account for them. For example, I could say, "My invisible dog dreamed a beautiful dream one afternoon, conjuring up the world around us. And that's why we have sunsets and hummingbirds." Clearly, merely tying things that exist around us into a story that attempts to explain them does not make the story true.

So then, with no direct evidence for God, and the impossibility of proving against, is it a 50/50 scenario? Not really. Think about my imaginary dog. You can't prove he doesn't exist. And I can cite hummingbirds and sunsets as proof of his existence. But do you believe in him? Probably not. Why? Because normal, healthy people require actual direct evidence to believe something is real. The default position is not to believe extravagant claims.

Therefore, I think logic weighs for a position of non-belief.

SNG

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

No Angel is an Atheist,

Nor any Demon Agnostic,

Only Man,

In His Sublime Arrogance,

Demands of His Maker,

Proof.

-Eduardo

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

All glory and honor be given to SNG's Dog. *genuflects*

Nice but incredibley shallow poem, Eduardo

• M.J.
    M.J.
    No god.... if there was a god. it would be very clear who had the right religion/belief system...

No offense. But I think that your statement there is loaded with assumptions about God that the WTS sells as part of their their packaged reality.

• ferret
    ferret

There is a god. If this question was asked on another site I think it would be overwelming in favor of a god. It seems that many ex JW's go atheist and I can't say I blame them. But I do believe in God and Jesus and the fact that someday He will return and set things straight for mankind.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    No offense. But I think that your statement there is loaded with assumptions about God that the WTS sells as part of their their packaged reality.

No offense taken... Your probablly right...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit