What Do You Think There Is More Proof Of?

by Legolas 64 Replies latest jw friends

• slacker911
    slacker911

All that quote says to me is that you see what you want to see...is that how you see it? If so, then what is your answer to the question?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

slacker911:

A question I have, based on your post, is this. With the definition of the universe that you give, can there really be anything that is truly "supernatural"? I know you avoided delving into alot of the questions that automatically would help me figure that our for myself (like God being around at the beginning of said universe and whatnot), and perhaps our own definitions of the words are different, rendering my post meaningless, but if everything living, including lifeforms that are superior to us, is a product of nature, could we then still consider it supernatural?

I think it comes down to issues of semantics. If we know something exists, then whatever it's nature may be, it could still be defined as natural. The normal definitions of a god, however, would require him to exist, in some sense, outside nature, beyond its laws. He would have to have unique properties, unmatched by anything else in the universe - in which case we would probably regard him as supernatural. Without such qualities, he would be just another life form. In our universe, "supernatural" may be a synonym of "non-existent" but in other universes, it may have a well-defined - even useful - meaning.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

depends on how you define GOD....

if you say that a single conscious entity is all of reality as I believe, then GOD = fact as we are all proof that the whole of reality contains consciousness and is all there is.... Spinoza's God, Einstein's God, reality as GOD = pantheism.

I believe that we are the multiple personality disorder that resulted when God tried to commit suicide, which of course is the one thing that God cannot do (^_^) and so drove him nuts :))

• kid-A
    kid-A

O Thou Who art the most manifest of the manifest and the most hidden of the hidden!

(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 141)

Carmel- while this is some "pretty poetry" and nice and fluffy, it means absolutely nothing. There is as much truth in this as one would find 'truth' in a Hallmark greeting card. Words are nothing but empty semantic vessels. Empirical Evidence is the only tangible reality. I sincerely hope this is not what you have based your belief system on.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

There is no proof that god exists.

This is demonstrated by the sincere expression of belief by theists on this thread; none of it is proof. Argumentum ad Hallmark (ignore the babies dying in their vomit, there's a kitten!), arguments from ignorance (I don't know how that happens therefore goddidit),

That doesn't mean there is no god, but of course one should ask; "what do you mean by god"?

Do you mean "more intelligent or advanced extra-terrestrial sentients" or "Bible god"? Or something else?

The logical position for me starts from the statement made by OpenFireGlass;

if there was a god. it would be very clear who had the right religion/belief system...

... to which one adds the caveat 'a god who cares'. It is hard to conceive a god who cares in any meaningful way if it deliberately allows the certainty of its existence to remain unknown.

So, as there is no proof of the right religious/belief system, one has to consider;

• if more than one is right (many paths one goal)
    • our memories of gods are from alien contact (do-do-do-do do-do-do-do doodily-oop)
    • none are right they are all made up from human psychology and occasional forays into the local plant-life's pharmaceutical properties
    • there is a god who choses not to prove itself (who is therefore a bastard so why worship him?)
    • we are jumped-up little monkeys but are not part of god's plan anymore than one thread in a garment is the reason a tailor made it (wood-chips on the floor of the cosmic workshop imagining they are the reason for the work)
    • god is all that groks (sentient creatures that understand their place in the Universe are all part of god)
    • the Universe it god (even rocks are god)

God being a bastard seems unlikely, and just illustrates the foolishness of those believing in a single specific way; it's self-fellation on a spiritual level, the comfort of undeveloped minds or fearful ones.

Other than the possibility it is all made up, it would seem most likely god is an emergent property of a system; either a word for everything and how it works together, or a characteristic of thinking minds in unison, even if there is no 'paranormal' element.

The idea of many ways one goal actually fits into an idea 'god' is everything, with occasional avatars or incarnation of the divine pointing the way, but god itself being personality-less and diffuse. Thou art god. Hell, they've built religions round it.

Of course, this is all conjecture... there is no proof god exists in any form, from Fundy to new age versions.

But maybe our concept of the divine IS based in something more than our brain architecture. If so, it's NOTHING like the mankie primitive monsters most religions try to scare us with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit