JW urban legends

by Highlander 42 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

There was a huge "anti-John Denver" movement in my hall !! ha ha. Yes, the very same "Rocky Mountain High" John Denver and we were to not listen to his music and/or throw

away any of his recordings. Why? Some bizarre legend evolved that John Denver was a huge JW-Hater, and that at the beginning of each of his concerts, he would make an announcement

and ask ALL the JWs in the audience to leave immediately....probably the weirdest JW legend I ever experienced. We had the smurf thing too.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

These stories are hilarious and bring back a lot of memories.

I remember one lady named Jackie who studied as a teenager and whose mother was not a JW; her mother regular used a ouija board and a demon used to tell her mother to stop Jackie from hunting him or something like that. Her mother would write everything down that the board said and Jackie would find the pieces of paper in the closet. Later of course Jackie burned the ouija board but it wouldn't burn until she repeatedly said Hobas name.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I remember the John Denver story! And I remember the story about the rapist hiding under a bed and stealing the JWs Bible. The Jdubs are such a small little society aren't they?

• flag
    flag

The rock group KISS.

They used to say that the meaning of the name was:

Kings in satan service.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Flag--I thought it was "Knights in Satan's Service."

• truckerann
    truckerann

I remember the John Denver story...also the part when he was on either the Johnny Carson or David Letterman show...and he was asked he to stand up if he didn't like JWs then the host asked him to leave...right on national TV

• zagor
    zagor
    I remember the story about a congregation building a new KH and they needed a truckload of sand but had run out of money. Shortly after a storm hit and blew the exact amount of sand needed onto the kingdom hall site.

And probably into a neat pile as well. And on top of the pile there were probably some magic beans too.

Oh my.., I remember this one being told by our DO at pioneer meeting. Just in his verions there was a Catholic priest who wouldn't sell sand to witnesses to complete KH building, so that evening storm hits and you're right. Little by little all of his send was transfered into a nice pile in front of unfinished KH.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I know of one that sounds like an urban legend, but my aunt was with the brother who did it.

My aunt had a Bible study (read, study of WT publication with occasional reference to a snippet of Scripture) with a woman who had a little "yap-yap" dog. One day she took Comer Perkle, and elderly fellow, with her on the study. While the dog's owner was busy in the kitchen, Comer tried to shut the do up by thumping it in the head. It worked. The dog died. Comer put the dog in his breifcase and they didn't mention it to the dog's owner.

Another that is listed here as an urban legend happened to a couple that my family have been friends with for a number of years, although in the retelling it lost a lot of details—which is the nature of rumors.

i beleive the one with the car goes like this; a pioneer woman sees a car ad for a $20.00 bmw and checks it out. the lady says you have to pay before you see the car. so she does and its a brand new beamer. she asks why she is sellig it for so little and the woman says that it was her husbands who recently left her for a younger woman and sent her divorce papers and legal instructins to sell the car and send the money she sold it for to him in another country.

Russell and Eileen Cantwell, ex-CO and wife serving at Brooklyn Bethel, saw an ad in the paper listing "Car $50, sight unseen." The model, year, and condition were not mentioned. Only a telephone number was given. They went to the home and were immediately impressed by how nice the house was. With some aprehension they paid the $50 to the lady of the house and received the title and keys to a Mercedes (not very old, but not brand new) and this story by way of explanation: The lady's husband had just died, in the will he left the proceeds from the sale of the car to his mistress, his wife was the executor of the Estate, the mistress presumably received $50 for the sale of the car.

Last I heard Russell and Eileen still have the car. Since the Society uses quite a few Mercedes trucks for transportation, the mechanics there are able to keep the automobile running easily and relatively inexpensively.

Another rumor that I have a very difficult time believing was told at a quick-build. A building was just recently constructed adjacent to the lot where a Kingdom Hall was being erected and the there was a large pile of sand left over from the construction project. The brothers needed sand to mix concrete and offered to buy the sand from the developer of the adjacent lot for less than they would have to pay to have new sand hauled in. The developer loathed JWs and declined the offer. During the night a windstorm blew all the sand onto the future Kingdom Hall site. <cough>Bullsh**<cough><cough>

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

While writing that you guys confirmed that at the least it was one of many versions circulating. Wow! What idiots we were!

• KW13
    KW13

mum always told me of this woman who was a missionary. anyway she kept preaching and the village 'witch doctor' cast a spell on her. the next day she wasn't dead. people became jw's cos of this. EVEN if this is partly true, you got to these places and they'll believe anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit