When i was a JW

by KW13 13 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

I remember i was in High school and i really wanted to get on the theocratic ministry school. i was making progress, started getting responsibilities like the microphones, helped do little jobs e.t.c and slowly i was being brought into the center of the congregation.

I went for my "interview" to get on the theocratic ministry school and...... they knocked me back. Told me 'someone' had told them i was swearing and even if it wasn't true they wanted me to spend more time upbuilding my faith. I thought i was gonna get on the school that day.

Funny thing was my friends who weren't going to be getting on the theocratic ministry school got on before me, all three of them and only months later did i get on. Just wondering...did they lie so they could make progress before me?

*this was a few years ago now*

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I couldnt progress unless I had a napkin on my head!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

You actually wanted to be on the TMS???!!!

I didn't - but had no choice, my mom signed me up - I never had any interviews or anything. My mom groomed me from an early age to be on the TMS - getting me up there whenever she had a part. Sometimes they actually made their talks into little skits with costumes and props.

BB

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

Isn't amazing how little (absolutely nothing!) all of that means in the real world?

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's like not having the right tennis outfit to qualify for full membership of the club. So stupid.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Knocking youths back was par of the course at my congregation (Unless you were an Elders kid) No one got to be a baptism candidate on the first try. A kids publishing slip would never be accepted the first time round, even if the kid really had been publishing and had held back from putting that slip in. And no one ever got onto the school first go.

And they wondered why all the youths fell away or got DF'd

• evita
    evita

I was all set to get baptized at the age of 15. The circuit assembly was coming up. Then I went out in FS and one of the elders overheard me talking back to my mother. Well, I was hauled before the elders and had to beg and plead to be allowed to get baptized. I was afraid of being humiliated and having my younger sis get baptized before me. It was so hard being perfect all the time.

• inquirer
    inquirer

When I was a JW, I didn't want to anything extra.

NEVER DID MICROPHONES
    RARELY DID SPEECHES FROM THE PLATFORM

I was very much just "another person in the crowd" person. I cleaned windows with Windex (TM -- LOL) and may have vacuumed the floor or something...

I was always a bit cynical. People didn't like me much as a JW, because I refused to follow the crowd and had my opinions, etc...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I don't know why they would have held you back like that. I thought they were usually as keen as mustard to try and get people out door knocking and on the school.... how odd! I guess someone was spreading porkies about you behind your back KW13.

When I joined the school you didn't have to ask your mum went and told the School Overseer you should be on the list. And then you got put on it... I don't remember joining the school so figure I must have been pretty young. I would have been pretty young when I became a publisher too (they didn't ask us the questions in those days) because I don't remember that inaugral (sic) moment either.

• LeftBehind
    LeftBehind

When I was 5 it was one of my goals to be on the TMS. I thought it was everything. I was a householder by age 6 and have my first talk soon thereafter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit