Who has or has not been invited to the memorial?

by misspeaches 64 Replies latest jw friends

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Well the memorial is tmrw night and time is running out to give out invitations. (AU time that is...)

Last night my mother asked me if I've heard from any of my old JW friends. Which I haven't of course. She then expressed some surprise saying she thought one of them might have asked me to the memorial. I replied that I hadn't been invited. She asked why I thought that might be. And I told her it was the same reason as last year. Because they don't care enough to invite me. She was upset with me and told me that wasn't true. So I told her of some of my more unpleasant encounters with my so called JW Friends since I stopped attending meetings. She was even more upset by that.

So I left the conversation establishing that my so called JW friends haven't invited me to the memorial and neither has my mother.

Anyone been invited? Do you think you will go? Any interesting conversations relating to memorial invites?

• carla
    carla

Isn't it strange, here you were talking to your mom about not being invited and she did not extend and invite?!

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I talked to my parents yesterday, and they didn't say a word about it! They mentioned Dad doing the talk out of town Sunday, but nothing about Memorial coming up on Wednesday! Odd.

• luna2
    luna2

I've gotten three invites stuck in my door with notes attached. I'd be more flattered if I didn't know that this is the year to pull out all the stops and get as many people to the Memorial as possible.

I think in my area its of even more importance to get a crowd to come because they've rented out the main ballroom of the biggest hotel in town and they sure wouldn't wanna look like a bunch of losers by having the thing only be half full.

My biggest question is why? Why are they trying to pump up the attendance for this one night? If all a person does is go to the Memorial to observe the crackers and wine being passed around, does this actually mean anything? The WTS has always stressed that you have to be doing a full court press of dubbly activities to earn be worthy of Jehyoyo's consideration come Armegeddy time so what is this really all about?

I'm hunching that what they are truly interested in is generating record attendance numbers to bolster their sagging JW team spirit. It also gives the R & F another task to keep them busily running on the hamster wheel of salvation.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

In another thread I said that I would not go. But, I got to thinking...if going to this 1 meeting will keep my folks from pestering me, maybe I should go to shut them up.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I haven't got an invite yet, hmm, I wonder why? Maybe the elders don't like me anymore?

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

No invite for me from super-dub mom or elder step-dad. Maybe because I recently told them that I wouldn't name them as guardians for my son in the event of something happening to me because I don't want him raised a witness.

Sometimes I wonder if they're just going through the motions and possibly are on to the whole sham. They used to invite me and try and bring up WTS topics for my benefit but once I clearly and unemotionally told them I was no longer interested -- didn't believe the BS -- and basically blamed the jw thing for my crappy childhood they completely backed down.

I think they get enough rejection from the public at large and probably just don't have the energy to deal with my big fat RSVP of NO.

• uninformed
    uninformed

no invite,

u

• els
    els

This is the first year that I haven't gotten one from my family, either mailed to me or slipped in my door. It could have something to do with the letter I wrote them saying don't visit, don't call, don't leave me your literature. Sounds harsh but I was sick of them calling the shots. They would shun me for months, parents and all five siblings, then show up to chat and leave me crap. I decided they couldn't have it both ways. If they want to shun me they won't know anything about me or my children. This way is much better for my equilibrium. If they can ever accept and respect me as I am then I will gladly take them back, or at least the ones I like. els

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was last invited in 1983. I had attended many since 1949.

That was the first meeting a remember. It was a district assembly. They cooked food in tents on the street. We ate standing up. Lots of my relatives were there. It was kind of a family reunion on my dad's side. I was 5. I was selling Watchtowers door to door the next year.

I attended every memorial for years. The message was the same then as now. The end is near, work for us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit