What Would Jesus Do?

by RevFrank 31 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

Im not satisfied with the Jesus we know in the Gospel accounts.

I feel I have still yet to discover who he really was.

Was he more than a man?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

What Would Jesus Do?

Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Luke 22:36
    He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Luke 12:51
    Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

• trevor
    trevor

We have had this debate so many times, Some want to believe that Jesus was a nice man in sandals who turned water into wine and forgave adulterers. Others quote the scriptures that describe him as fiend on a horse out to seek vengeance.

Others reject the entire Biblical portrayal of him and invent a Jesus that fits in comfortable with their own experience of life.

Jesus is to religion what plastic is to the modern world. You can do anything with him, mould him to any shape or color that suits your need -hard or soft, sharp or smooth.

Wish fulfilment has many forms and labels - but why call the product Jesus?

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'm always reticent to enter discussions like this but I feel I have to point out that any serious historian would never point to any document from Thallus or Phlegon as proof of anything. At the time they purportedly wrote their accounts in the latter half of the 1st century and 2nd century there were hundreds of apocryphal christan writings with tall tales and contrary fables. I must stress that Thallus and Phlegon were not eyewitnesses to what they wrote and any info they got was hearsay.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/thallus.html

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

Why Are We Here?

There is a great amount of proof of not only the fact that Jesus existed but that he also performed many miracles, including His own resurrection.

blessedstar

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

Why would the apostles allow themselves to be martyred in such horrible ways for saying Jesus existed when they knew that was false?

Instead, they said they were eyewitnesses of Jesus' miracles and resurrection. And they all were martyred separate from each other.

It could be said that one of them was crazy and suicidal...but it would be hard to make the case that ALL of them were (except John, who wasn't martyred but was exiled to the island of Patmos instead).

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

When science and logic are taken to the nth degree they yield PROOF that God exists and the Bible is true.

• kid-A
    kid-A

There is a great amount of proof of not only the fact that Jesus existed but that he also performed many miracles, including His own resurrection

What "proof" do you speak of BS? The only proof you have are words written by human "eye-witnesses" 2000 years ago. The evidence for any of these "miracles" is no more proven than any other

"literary" account. There is as much proof for the existence of Alice in Wonderland, Peter the Rabbit or Bilbo Baggins based upon your criteria of "proof".

Just because "It is Written" does not mean "It really happened".....

• kid-A
    kid-A

When science and logic are taken to the nth degree they yield PROOF that God exists and the Bible is true. This is just silly nonsense BS. Please stop talking out of your ass. Give us a scientific theorem, or "formula" that proves the existence of god???? Hmmmmm......Im waiting....... "Science and logic" prove the bible is true? Please demonstrate this for us BS, we are all anxious to see how science and logic "prove" ANYTHING in the bible OR the existence of god!! LOL

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Why is it that some people so desperately want to reduce the divine to the little deity(s) described within the pages of the Bible?

Certainly if there is a true Source to this wondrous and vast universe, it has to be infinitely more than the wrathful man-god defined within scripture. Or do I just hold that from which all life flows to too high a regard?

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit