The Passion of the Christ Movie

by arwen 20 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

We saw the movie when it first came out. Everyone was making a big deal about how gorey it was, but actually it was mild compared to the real thing. If you read the prophecy in Isaiah 52:-13-14, it says His appearance was disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyong human likeness. In view of that statement from the Bible, it is obvious that He was in worse shape than the movie depicted.

That was the first time I had ever been to the theater (packed with people) and NOT ONE PERSON got up to leave when the movie was over. Complete silence, no rush for the door. My husband broke down and cried, and then I cried too. I remember when they were beating Jesus and the flesh was being ripped from Him, my lower legs started cramping horribly. I looked down and I was pressing my feet so hard against the seat in front of me, trying to subconsciously back away from the brutality, that I lost the feeling in my feet.

You hear it all the time...."Jesus died for us." But the impact doesn't hit home, until you realize HOW He died for us.

My husband had a step-father that was very abusive. He died from cancer a few years before the movie came out. There was always a bitterness there. Our pastor asked how many people seen the Passion movie. Nearly everyone, except children, of course. Then he asked us to envision the person we felt wronged us the most. He said, "Jesus went through that for them too." My husband forgave his step-father. He even put flowers on his grave.

It's true, forgiveness sets a person free. And it is the person who is doing the forgiving!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I saw it and thought it was too graphic. I don't like movies where the amount of blood spraying around overshadows just about everything else. Or perhaps that was the main point of the movie.

W

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I bought the movie, it was on sale, but I haven't watched but maybe 10 minutes of it. I think that it is a mood movie. You have to be in the mood to watch someone get ripped to shreds. The portion that I have watched though, I have been a little disappointed in. They have Jesus kind of weak acting and wishy washy looking. But I haven't watched the whole thing yet.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

The Last Temptation of Christ though! I loved this movie. The Jesus portrayed in it is much more realistic/human.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I have to read what's going on ....I will be skipping that one!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yes, I saw it. It was nothing more than a two hour Snuff Movie.

One thing I keep wondering about is how the "two criminals" who were crucified next to Jesus were not scourged like he was. Compared to Jesus they looked pretty good when they were nailed up. The problem I have with this is that at the time it was standard procedure to scourge everyone scheduled to be crucified (it helped take the fight out of them for the process of being crucified). Why did Mel Gibson go so easy on them?

Sadly statistics show that the more gruesome a "Jesus" movie is the more popular it is with Christians.

• jstalin
    jstalin

The main idea I took away from the movie is that Jesus was another example of what happens when someone challenges the status quo. The powers that be were threatened and they had him removed.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I heard the movie is overpowered by gore and I haven't seen it either.

Braveheart, Conspiracy Theory, Payback, Mad Max, Lethal Weapon(s), and just about every other movie Mel Gibson is assosiated with depicts some form of torture.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Braveheart, Conspiracy Theory, Payback, Mad Max, Lethal Weapon(s), and just about every other movie Mel Gibson is assosiated with depicts some form of torture.

You forgot "What women want". Could you imagine having to hear everything that women think? I think I'd rather be disemboweled.

W

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    You forgot "What women want". Could you imagine having to hear everything that women think?

I'm not sure which would be worse: hearing everything that women think or women hearing everything that we think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit