The Passion of the Christ Movie

by arwen 20 Replies latest jw friends

• arwen
    arwen

I am watching this movie for the first time and it has subtitles and is in another language. I am wondering if this is the way it is or if I have rented the wrong version. I can hardly watch it as it is very disturbing and I feel so bad for Jesus. Have any of you ever watched it and what did you think??

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I've seen parts of the movie but its too intense and graphic for me to bear. Yes, there are supposed to be subtitles.

• arwen
    arwen

Thanks StillAWitness...I can't watch a lot of the scenes either. It is very depressing but makes me grateful to know what Jesus did for us.

• luna2
    luna2

When I was a child, my younger sister used to be able to terrorize me by getting her illustrated Bible, which had very graphic, glossy, colorful, full-page pictures, turn to the one of Jesus on the cross with the blood dripping down his face from the crown of thorns, the bolts in his hands and feet, and the gash in his side and chase me around the house with it. It horrified me. I'm not quite so sensative now, but I still couldn't bring myself to go see that movie.

• poppers
    poppers

Mel Gibson deliberately filmed it in the language Jesus spoke, supposedly so it would be as accurate as possible. I haven't seen it and have never felt the need or desire to.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Even if I am not a beleiver...I would have liked to see that movie, I like historical stories with ancient dialogues...but the extreme violence I can't tolerate. And I heard it was grusome, so I haven't seen it.

• rekless
    rekless

I saw it, and thought the beating was depicted correctly except no man could endure that punishment without passing out at lease for awhile. The scene of Mary following her son was heart breaking. Humanly impossible for a parent to watch without trying to help.

It also made me question God. How could a higher power let a child suffer in that manner.

dan

• Mary
    Mary

I believe the movie was make in Aramaic, as Mel Gibson wanted it done in the language that Jesus would have spoke. I saw the movie and I fast-forwarded the beatings and whippings as I can't abide watching stuff like that.

If you believe that the New Testament is 100% correct in it's version of what happened 2,000 years ago, then yes, the movie is quite accurate. I however, don't believe that Pilate was the meek, mild-mannered Roman that either the bible or the movie depicts. Ironically, the Organization has also stated in some of it's literature that Pilate wasn't a wus, and that he most definitely ordered Jesus' death.

Furthermore, there's no historical evidence whatsoever that the Romans had a "tradition" of releasing a condemned prisoner out of the goodness of their hearts to the Jews and this was most likely invented at the writers of the scriptures in order to shift the blame from Rome to the Pharisees for having Jesus put to death.

Regardless, it was indeed a really lousy way for anyone to die......makes you wonder how human beings can do this to each other?

• inquirer
    inquirer

Never watched it! Seems like a Catholic Jesus to me. But you never know, I could change my mind some day. When I found out that they portray Satan as a woman... that has caused me to never see it ever!

• Brigid
    Brigid

I went to go see this movie in the theatres with my Church of Christ friend. I have a humanist/Jewish POV of Jesus (hey, he was a nice Jewish boy!). This was at the height of the supposed controversy wherein many in the Jewish community (where I have many friends and family) were very concerned about the portrayal of Jews in the movie and the possible reprisals. So it was an incredibly interesting experience for me. Here I was, I knew the story, had once believed it to be true, coming with all the concerns of the Jewish community with my best friend, who eats, breathes and sleeps "her Jesus" with an underlying current of what I know of the pagan underpinnings of it all (Odin hanging from a tree, anyone?)

So, it was a very interesting experience for me. I saw a very Catholic portrayal--suffering was paramount (even my C of C friend commented that she wished they had focused more on the messages of hope that Jesus taught). I did not see anti-semitism and had to go back and report to my Jewish friends the very different POV's that Christians have from Jews nowadays and that no one was going to walk away from that movie and think "the Jews killed Jesus--let's get 'em!!". There was a nutty preacher here though who put a sign in front of his church that said "the Jews killed Jesus, end of story". What it did was start dialogue between the Jewish and Christian community in a good way (his congregants took the sign down themselves in a group in a very public way and he apologized)

But just overall, I wouldn't go see it again (it quite frankly was not that great as a piece of art). The anthropological study was priceless, though.

~Brigid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit