Anyone here Scuba dive?

by nicolaou 41 Replies latest social physical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I start my padi Open Water scuba diving lessons later this month and I'm really looking forward to it. Anybody here done the course?

alt

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I have it is very easy and quick. And that says a lot for me considering math is not my strong suit and you have to do conversions at the end to pass the class. But you get a little slide rule and you can use it, so it is like an open book test. It is a ton of fun. It is such an amazing feeling. Though snorkling is nicer for seeing colorful fish. Once you get down far enough, you stop seeing beautiful colors, but the other sea creatures are amazing.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Where'd you do your open water dive? Here in England I have to dive in a freezing cold lake in Leicestershire!

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

AWESOME NIC!! Me and hubby (ITIS) are both certified. I was so scared to do the open water dive in the middle of the ocean. (the FL KEYS) Once I got comfortable in the water and we got our required stuff over, the instructor sent us on our way to explore.....

It is AMAZING! I can't wait to go again....

good luck - with a good instructor the course is a piece of cake. We had a horrid instructor and still passed fine, just required more effort on our part to pass.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I've snorkelled 30 miles out on the Great Barrier Reef, one of the best days of my life !

If you get a chance go.

• Clam
    Clam

Dr J

Was Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus inspired by the bagpipes?

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I never took the course, and good thing I didnt waste my mula. I did it twice, and thats all it took for me to not want to see what creeps around on the ocean floor!

• uninformed
    uninformed

Clam

I am an unlikely candidate, but I scuba dive. (I am almost 60 and overweight)

I had a neat experience getting certified. My daughter and I were in Cozumel with the family on vacation and we decided to get our certification. Boy-o-boy, what a beautiful place. The Palancar Reef was awsome! We thoroughly enjoyed our scuba course!

Last February, I went to Galapagos Islands in Ecuador and went diving off some of the islands of the Galapagos Archipelago. That was a real wonderful trip too. You can see the boat that I was on by going to Yahoo search and typing in, Deep Blue, Galapagos. It will come up and you can take a neat tour of the boat and see some interesting sea photos too.

Congratulations, good diving.

U

• Poztate
    Poztate

I have a NAUI card (National Association Underwater Instructors) from when I was young. The last time I did a dive was 1998 and I sure felt rusty and OLD. I think you will find that the most pleasure comes from ocean dives.I always found lake dives to be a little sterile and unfulfilling.

The deepest dive I ever did was a bounce dive to 200 feet.I did it on a single tank and it was a silly thing to do.No problems because of the short down and up time. I found in the ocean where I dove most of the action was between 35-80 feet. It can be a lot of fun and I envy you.

Where'd you do your open water dive? Here in England I have to dive in a freezing cold lake in Leicestershire!

I did my open water in the cold Pacific waters of Canada. The interesting part was sitting on the bottom(60 ft) with 6 divers and only one air hose to pass around.You had to exercise a lot of control to avoid panic.The other one was the take off mask and clear under water.A few people had problems with that. The PADI and NAUI cards are professional dive cards.People should not confuse them with the "2 hour course" that tourists take so they can go down and play with the fish in Hawaii. You can get into a lot of trouble down there if you are not well qualified.

• Clam
    Clam

(Format nightmare)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit