Anyone here Scuba dive?

by nicolaou 41 Replies latest social physical

• JK666
    JK666

K.Matthews,

I have been diving for 25 years, and have been to the Keys many times. What part do you live in? I have enjoyed diving the reefs off of Key West, Looe Key, and Marathon many times.

I think I am getting too old to dive the Great Lakes, very cold and rough, especially on a bad day. But the deep wrecks are pristene, and worth the beating when young. The Keys are much more tame compared to the North West Pacific or Lake Superior during a storm!

I always thought I would like to live in the Keys, if I could figure out how to afford to live there.

JK

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

That is on my to do list. Want to learn.

• justhuman
    justhuman

I did have reached up to the Advance and Resque Diver by NAUI. It was more than 12 years I did the courses. But as I have seen the standarts for both PADI and NAUI have gone really down the drain. Back then NAUI had better standarts from PADI, but now both are the same.

The standarts at that time would make me now Instructor!!!

We had navigation courses, navigating your self underwater with compass. We had night dives, dives in caves, mathematics - how to use lifting bags to bring up to the surface an object. We also practice underwater with lifting bags. We also had extreme training that included diving in a stormy weather, take your gear underwater completely - you are left only with mask and fins and then wear it again. Or we had to put all of our diving gear in to 15 metters depth, then we had to do free dive, and start to put the gear on. Sometimes our instructor was shutting the air from the regulator in order to see our reaction!!!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I'm going sunday to crystal river!

Ha, I've got a comment on here in 08 AND 06! I'm too cool for school!

• K.Matthews
    K.Matthews

JK666 I live near Key West but I got up to Looe Key all the time and I also dive out of Marathon. Everyone here says the diving near Key West has gotten bad over the past few years and maybe they're right, the vis isn't very good and the coral is mostly dead. But it looks much healthier near Marathon. I get to dive the wrecks around here and so far my favorite is the Thunderbolt. But next week I'm going to Key Largo to dive the Duane. Oh and I got certified out west through SSI. I think agencies don't make much of a difference, it's more about the instructor you have. Mine is an older guy and very patient. He not only got me through the course he made me really comfortable. So much so that I'd like to be an instructor myself one day. Just as a part time job.

• JK666
    JK666

K.,

The Duane? Are you going to do the Bibb too? I hear they offer packages to do them both on Nitrox instead of air.

JK

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Free diver? I'm fascinated by that.
    So you basically go down with no equipment except for mask & fins?

How long can you hold your breath?

Only mask, snorkel and fins. When I go deep I wear a 3.5mm wetsuit and 4 pounds of weight. I can hold my breath in static apnea for 3minutes and 30 seconds. I am going to start training to be able to hold it for 5minutes.

• M.J.
    M.J.

AC, Some excellent training for breath holding in the off time is a sport called underwater hockey. I love it!

There might be a club near you: http://pucku.org/uwht/ca.html

• Layla33
    Layla33

I have done it, but I enjoy sitting by the water more than being in it like that. I was in the Bahamas, off of Nassau. Wonderful experience.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I've snorkled in Mexico & the Carribean; but have never Scuba dived. Something about being that deep under water...just can't handle it!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit