Rank and Baseless New Light speculation

by FreeWilly 29 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Since I just finished Crisis of Conscience this subject is fresh in my mind (as he deals with it in the last chapters of the book). The fact that there is a “shift in power” among the GB may not cause any big change in doctrine (good or bad). The reason being that the men of the GB, like most r&f witnesses are slave to the concept of “the organization” and thus slave to it’s heritage and traditions. That is a major driving force among the GB. The traditions take precedence, as we’ve seen, even over the bible in most cases. For a GB member, who was carefully selected, it would be difficult in their own minds to justify a major shift from a traditional doctrine (such as blood, 1914, time of the end, field service). There have been those GB members in the past who lightly pushed for changes in basic traditional doctrines but met with much resistance and were easily swayed to, if not wholeheartedly, go with the majority vote. When power was wrestled away from Knorr and Franz many may have thought this would result in major changes in doctrine. In fact the only big change was in ’95 with the “new light” concerning the 1914 Generation, and this change was made out pure necessity. It was, in fact, brought up in the late seventies and it took them nearly two decades to come up with what they did. Ray Franz, in his book, makes the outlook seem rather grim as far as the likelihood of big changes to the society. I’m not sure I agree with it, I hope there are big changes or at least the GB slips up big enough that there is a mass exodus. Whatever the case, don’t hold your breath for some major changes once the old-school GB start keeling over. Most changes will most likely be from necessity, to protract past prophecies and deadlines.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Wouldnt it be funny if 1957 was proved right all along

• jws
    jws
    I think the teaching surrounding 1935 could be up for revision. This one is losing credibility fast as time goes by (just like the generation teaching).
    The Society teaches that all of the 144,000 anointed were identified and "sealed" in 1935. Thereafter, any post 1935 anointed ones could only be replacements for any of the Pre-1935ers who fell away.

You may be on to something. The generation thing happened in 1995 (I think), 81 years after 1914. When that "generation" was not supposed to pass away and man's years are "70 or 80, if of special mightiness". In the beginning, wasn't it somebody who was an adult in 1914. Then it was old enough to see what was going on in the world in 1914. Finally, near the end, wasn't it that you at least had to be born in 1914.

So, born in 1914 + 80 years = 1994. Oops, times up, better change the doctrine.

If I recall, part of the 1935 doctrine says you would have had to be baptised by 1935. Well, how young would you have been? 10? OK, 10 in 1935 means born in 1925. 1925 + 80 years = 2005. Here it is 2006, so time for another change.

Even when I was a witness, it seemed like the whole "sealed in 1935" thing was kind of obscure. I don't ever remember knowing how they came up with 1935. Changing this (in my opinion) would fly right past the average JW.

The people here on this board probably know more about it than your average JW. We know this is a foundation for a lot of things. But if a JW doesn't know how those foundations are built, he probably won't even know they've crumbled. And will also accept whatever explaination the JWs give to cover any logical gaps.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

the sealing of the 144,000 by 1935 idea is already on the way out, though most witnesses don't realize it. here's proof from the "Worship the Only True God" book published in 2002, page 179, chapter 20, entitled "Keep Close In Mind Jehovah's Day":

After World War I, there was a separating of all who claimed to be Christian into two classes: (1) The clergy of Christendom and their followers, who came out in strong support of the League of Nations (now the United Nations) while still holding fast to their national loyalties, and (2) true Christians of that postwar era, who gave their full support to God’s Messianic Kingdom, not to the nations of this world. (John 17:16) These proved themselves true servants of God’s Kingdom by undertaking the preaching of "this good news of the kingdom" earth wide. (Matthew 24:14) With what results?

First, there was the gathering of the remnant of those anointed by God’s spirit, who have the hope of being with Christ as part of the heavenly Kingdom. Though such ones were scattered among the nations, they were brought into organizational unity. The completion of the sealing of these anointed ones draws near.—Revelation 7:3, 4.

Then, under Christ’s direction, there began the gathering of "a great crowd . . . out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues." These make up the "other sheep" who will survive "the great tribulation" into God’s new world. (Revelation 7:9, 14; John 10:16) This work of preaching God’s Kingdom before the end comes continues right down to the present time. Loyally, the great crowd of other sheep, now numbering into the millions, help the anointed remnant publicize the vital message of the Kingdom. This message is being heard in all nations.

• inquirer
    inquirer

It's like on the Simpsons when they were in that spaceship (lol) and Lisa
    found out they wanted to make the Simpsons fat so they would have more meat on
    them and therefore more tastier to eat.

"how to cook humans."

"how to cook FOR humans."

"how to cook forty humans." or whatever... And when the Homer
    and all the rest found out, the aliens acted all innocent and kicked them off
    the ship! And (well I guess) accused them of apostasy! :D lol They probably went
    off to some other place on earth or planet to try to find some more "zombie
    aliens" to join their organization or really... eat them. :D

-- 1914 generation will be come a continous generation instead of one literal
    generation. If they didn't have the "new light" doctrine they could have no
    justification of their everchanging doctrines. This doctrine gives them absolute
    control to do what they like!

"These generations."

:D

There's a new date this century which the WTS alluded to... I think it was
    2026 or something?

JW's will always be around even if they have a pathetic amount of followers! Look at those Bible Studies groups that splinted off from the WTS -- they are still around. You don't need many people of an organization to make it exist...

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Of the group whose vote held sway in GB sessions while Ray was on the GB, only one remains: Theo "Ted" Jaracz (The Theo is for Theocracy).

The recent appointees were handpicked from among COs and DOs who serve under the Service Committee (i.e. Ted Jaracz).

There is no "new blood" in the sense of blood that will reform the organization. There is only younger blood that will reinforce the policies of the grand Theo-crat.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe God is using the organization. The Governing Body believes it, too. That being the case, whatever the organization asks of its sla-, <cough> I mean, the slaves of God and of Christ, no matter what it is, it is God that asks and any who do not obey have rejected God.

Rejecting the organization = rejecting God, therefore, rejecting the organization = rejecting God. They worship their organization, the thing they created.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

While I dont think there will really be any major doctrinal shift persay I do think that the WTS will reevaluate some of their current policies and change them. I will give you an example: About 10 yrs ago regular pioneer ranks were down or at least not growing as quickly as it used to in the past. Their solution was to change the hour requirement from 90 to 70 (it was really a yearly requirement from 1000 to 840). Bam, more pioneers. The reason they gave was because its harder to make a living these days and people often have to work longer hours, blah, blah, blah.....always so positive and upbuilding. In other words they changed it for you not to pad their stupid statistics.

What I hope may go is the bookstudy.... I heard a rumor that after the "Bible Teach Book" starting in a few weeks we are going to study Isaiah's prophecy again.. come on! How long can they keep telling the R&F that its important to study that again?

• TheListener
    TheListener

I put this in the other new light threads but I want to keep up with the different threads so I'll post it here too: The society is a business. The GB or lawyers or whoever run it that way. They will only change that which is necessary to hold onto publishers and the donations they give.

I don't think 1914 gives many publishers sleepless nights. Is it crazy and screwed up? Yes. Does it make the average publisher wonder about the nature of their faith? No.

I don't think blood gives many publishers sleepless nights. For those that have issues with the blood transfusion doctrine they can now accept all fractions. The society has given the publishers enough of a choice they the rank and file feel satisfied. Is it biblical? No. Is it logical or right? No. Does it keep publishers up at night wondering if they're serving God properly? No. - unless it has to do with lawsuits and potential financial losses;then they'll change it lickety split.

What is it that will cause the annual report to stop losing weight? How can greater donations be generated?

Perhaps, the friends are wearing out. Perhaps they're tired of living with alarm bells all around. Perhaps they want to do whatever the FDS says but they want to do it without the stress of MORE MORE MORE MORE being screamed in their ears.

It's a gamble for the society. If they drop the urgency plea the friends may abandon ship or they may become heartened and stick with the society for the long haul - just knowing they're doing the right thing by following God's representatives regardless of the paradise timing.

The question is then, what can the society do to keep members, keep member's money yet not lose sight of the end?

I really don't know. But, I bet the society has been working on this problem for several years. ______________________ On another thread someone mentioned women becoming elders. That's interesting but I doubt it will ever happen. However, I could see sisters being used as ministerial servants or doing the duties of ministerial servants but not having the title. There has been a lack of brothers for the last two decades that are willing to serve. Allowing the sisters to run microphones, set the stage, run the sound box, work the literature and territory counters, collect contributions, etc. would free up the ministerial servants that exist to work on being becoming elders, which would in turn help the society control the flock more tightly. Plus the sisters that are dying for more power and control (elderettes) would be in 7th heaven.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I agree with XBEHERE - I don't think there will be any major doctrinal changes any time soon. They will probably tweek a few and then spin it that the "light" has gotten even brighter being SO CLOSE to the end. Even if they made a major slip up the majority will not exit. Remember "perfect organization run by imperfect men?" sound familiar?

IF, and I mean a big IF, there was some sort of exodus they would spin it to "the love of the greater number cooling off." And most dubs would nod in agreement at how perfectly the GB predicted that prophecy!

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything but I think a lot of this is HOPEFUL speculation. IMO, the majority of witnesses will never leave. You can always hope though, right?!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Inquirer said:

The cook book Lisa saw was "how to cook humans." "how to cook FOR humans." "how to cook forty humans." or whatever... And when the Homer and all the rest found out, the aliens acted all innocent and kicked them off the ship

Actually, inquirer has falsely made the poor aliens (Kodos and Kang) out to be the bad guys. The final title of the book with all the dust removed was "How to cook for forty humans". In the end, the Simpson family felt bad about being falsely accusing the poor aliens. (From Hungry Are The Damned, a segment from The Simpsons episode Treehouse of Horrors.)

On the other hand, the GB is just plain wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit