urban legends

by chirac 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• rebel8
    rebel8

i seriously doubt That the secret service agent That allowed a guy to have something in his pocket even if was told not to, would have been sacked.

The angels hid it from their view just like they hid Daniel from the lions. Duh.;)

It strikes me (again) that the bible itself is urban myths like this.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Someone I know told me a funny story about Edie Murphy, she claimed it happened to "a friend of a friend". I expressed my disbelief, but she swore it was true. The problem was I had heard the exact same story years before, only then it was about Richard Pryor. 

I have made a hobby of researching modern urban legends. What they have in common is that they confirm a bias or belief and they seem like they could/should be true. I have found that people want to believe these things, in fact they get offended when you tell them the truth.  It's no surprise that Jehovah's Witnesses are no better than any other group, or even worse, when it comes to MULs, the whole belief system is a MUL. 

• Scully
    Scully

I remember a story in the Awake! back in the 80s that Prince Charles and Diana received no less than 3 copies of Making Your Family Life Happy (gold cover edition) as wedding gifts.

Look how it helped them! 

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Damn

I mean doesn't the President of the United States have enough important crap on his mind? We can only hope he doesn't read it (if indeed he really got it). He would really be confused then! 

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• fiddler
    fiddler

Nothing new under the sun...or moon...or stars...

the Bible is full of old urban legends.

humanity...or at leasta portion of humanity...loves urban legends...and mythology...and fairytales...and Santa Claus

what else is new?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I mean doesn't the President of the United States have enough important crap on his mind? We can only hope he doesn't read it (if indeed he really got it). He would really be confused then!

I doubt that much would agree with his Koran.

Doc

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

As if the guy didn't dismiss the JWs dozens of times while living in chicago for decades. 

If this IS true (and who knows? Who cares?) the most alarming thing is that the SS or FBI (whatever) has such lax security for the leader of the semi-free world. 

• smiddy
    smiddy

I remember the Queen of england supposedly receiving the the NW Translation of the bible . ( the green one ) many years ago .

smiddy

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

A J-dub who lived in D.C...

Tried to preach to the Presidency...

They found his Watchtowers used as mulch for the flowers...

And his ass in Guantanamo B.

• Simon
    Simon

It's funny how many of the stories follow the theme of "[famous or important person] heard the message!".

It would be more of a story if "[famous or important person] heard the message ... and converted!"

But of course they don't. They reject it like everyone else does. It seems to be more a pat on the back to tell themselves what an awesome job they must be doing preaching the message.

It's a shame their measure of success focuses on individuals like this but surely no surprise - it makes them believe that the work is being done and nearing completion when the reality is that more people have been born than will ever hear their message and the number who *wont'* be preached to goes up all the time.

No wonder they want to distract attention away from that - it doesn't back up the doctrines. So urban legends are invented to fool them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit